Utah Utes basketball: Krystkowiak agrees to a new 5-year deal with the Utes
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah athletics director Chris Hill has confirmed that men’s basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak has agreed to terms on a new five-year contract with the Utes. Terms were not disclosed and details were still being finalized.
“Obviously we feel that Larry and his staff have done a wonderful job with helping build this program back and we’re excited about the future,” Hill said. “During the year Larry and I both acknowledged that and wanted to put together a new contract, which we pretty much last week agreed on everything.”
Hill added that everything now just has to be put in writing. He considers the agreement to be a new five-year contract. Financial terms will be a matter of public record when the paperwork is signed.
Besides increasing Krystkowiak’s compensation, Hill said university officials are also in the process of making sure the coach’s staff is treated fairly.
“It’s not just on the court. I think they’ve done a great job with how their players represent the university and how Larry, his staff and his players are involved in the community — and their academics are very high,” Hill said. “So all the things that are in addition to winning and losing are going very, very well.”
Hill noted that he and Krystkowiak are on the same page and know where they want to go in the future.
“We think we’re headed in the right direction,” Hill said.
Krystkowiak is 42-55 in three years as Utah’s coach. The Utes went 21-12 this past season and reached the NIT in the program’s first winning campaign since 2008-09. Utah won eight Pac-12 games in its first two seasons in the conference and nine this year.
Since the season ended, Krystkowiak has been mentioned in reports about coaching vacancies at Marquette and California.
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- High school baseball: Clutch fifth inning...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- Prep softball: Lehi whips Herriman twice to...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 39
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 26
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 23
- Utah State football: Demolition begins... 16
- Morning links: Jazz in the lottery;... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13