Utah Utes basketball: Krystkowiak agrees to a new 5-year deal with the Utes
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah athletics director Chris Hill has confirmed that men’s basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak has agreed to terms on a new five-year contract with the Utes. Terms were not disclosed and details were still being finalized.
“Obviously we feel that Larry and his staff have done a wonderful job with helping build this program back and we’re excited about the future,” Hill said. “During the year Larry and I both acknowledged that and wanted to put together a new contract, which we pretty much last week agreed on everything.”
Hill added that everything now just has to be put in writing. He considers the agreement to be a new five-year contract. Financial terms will be a matter of public record when the paperwork is signed.
Besides increasing Krystkowiak’s compensation, Hill said university officials are also in the process of making sure the coach’s staff is treated fairly.
“It’s not just on the court. I think they’ve done a great job with how their players represent the university and how Larry, his staff and his players are involved in the community — and their academics are very high,” Hill said. “So all the things that are in addition to winning and losing are going very, very well.”
Hill noted that he and Krystkowiak are on the same page and know where they want to go in the future.
“We think we’re headed in the right direction,” Hill said.
Krystkowiak is 42-55 in three years as Utah’s coach. The Utes went 21-12 this past season and reached the NIT in the program’s first winning campaign since 2008-09. Utah won eight Pac-12 games in its first two seasons in the conference and nine this year.
Since the season ended, Krystkowiak has been mentioned in reports about coaching vacancies at Marquette and California.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7