BYU basketball: BYU coach Dave Rose optimistic about Kyle Collinsworth's recovery from knee injury
“The first day of practice when Kyle wasn’t there, it was an emotional train wreck with our guys,” Rose said during the NCAA tournament. “The feel in the guys was basically everybody feeling sorry for Kyle or maybe feeling sorry for themselves.”
BYU knew what it was up against when it played Oregon without Collinsworth’s ability to score and distribute the ball, as well as his athleticism and leadership.
“Kyle, he’s a guy that you can’t replace, and he brings so much to our team,” said guard Tyler Haws.
After the loss to the Ducks, Carlino said of playing without Collinsworth, “It’s different when you play every game with a dude, then he’s not there in a tournament game. We obviously missed him out there, especially with no games played without him. It’s tough to come in here and try to figure it out on the go. It’s tough not playing without one of your starters. We threw a lot of lineups out there in the first half, trying to catch our rhythm. But when you’re without a guy like (Collinsworth), it’s tough to catch a rhythm.”
If the Cougars have to play at all next season without Collinsworth, there are some question marks about who the point guard would be. His replacement in the NCAA tournament was Carlino, who plans to transfer after he graduates from BYU in June.
Anson Winder has played some at that position during his career, and Frank Bartley IV could see some time there as well. Incoming freshman Jordan Chatman is a combo guard that can play the point.
But the best-case scenario for BYU? That Collinsworth returns healthy, and ready to play, in the fall.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26