Rodrigo Abd, Associated Press
SANTIAGO, Chile — All LDS missionaries in the church's nine missions across Chile are safe after a "mighty" earthquake struck the nation's northern coast and killed at least six people Tuesday.
“All missionaries serving in Chile have been contacted and are safe,” said Cody Craynor, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The magnitude-8.2 earthquake led to the deaths of at least six people, but authorities lifted tsunami warnings early Wednesday as fears of killer waves subsided.
Chile is home to more than 575,000 members of the LDS Church.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 101
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 33
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 16