Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Craig Brinkerhoff homered and drove in three runs and Mark Krueger had three RBIs as Utah Valley University topped BYU, 8-3, on Tuesday night at Larry H. Miller Field. It’s the third straight win for the Wolverines (10-18).
Devin Nelson went 8.1 innings on the mound for UVU to pick up the win and move to 2-4 on the year. He surrendered three runs on 10 hits and struck out four. Michael Springer took the loss for the Cougars (10-20), dropping to 0-3.
“We have started to become a little more consistent and tonight we took advantage of some walks they gave us and also had a good approach,” UVU head coach Eric Madsen said.
Two first-inning base hits, by Seth Rhineer and Sean Moysh, put runners at the corners with one out. Krueger gave UVU a 1-0 lead with a sac-fly that scored Rhineer. BYU answered with a run in the bottom of the first when Brock Whitney singled home a run with two outs in the inning.
In the second, Brinkerhoff put the Wolverines on top with a towering home run over the scoreboard in left. It was the sophomore’s fourth home run of the season. Greyson Bogden and Moysh walked in the third before Krueger doubled to right-center to drive in both runners and give Utah Valley a 4-1 lead.
Dillon Robinson got a run back for the Cougars in the third, on a home run to right.
Krueger’s second double came in the fifth, this time to left-center, and he later scored when Riley White delivered a two-out hit that pushed the Wolverine lead to 5-2. BYU threatened in the seventh, with runners at second and third with just one out, but Nelson struck out Robinson and got out of it when Whitney popped out to Bogden into shallow right.
UVU tacked on three more in the top of the ninth, getting two on a Brinkerhoff double down the third base line that scored Beau Kallas and Krueger. Cam Zollinger brought home the third run on a sac-fly, scoring Brinkerhoff and giving the Wolverines an 8-2 lead. The Cougars got one back in the bottom of the ninth but didn't threaten further. Patrick Wolfe retired Dillon Robinson on a fly ball to center to end it.
Utah Valley finished with 11 hits, with Brinkerhoff finishing 3-for-5 and Krueger going 2-for-2 and reaching base four times. Rhineer and Moysh also had two hits each for the Wolverines. Jarrett Jarvis had two hits to lead BYU, which finished with 10 hits on the night.
Utah Valley and BYU meet again on April 29 at Brent Brown Ballpark in Orem. The Wolverines get back into WAC action this weekend at Chicago State with a three-game series schedule to begin Friday at 6 p.m. CT.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU softball: season ends at Columbia Regional
- BYU golf: White leads Cougars to 11th place...
- BYU baseball: Schneemann wins it in bottom of...
- Brennon Anderson's 3-run blast helps lead BYU...
- BYU golf: Cougars wrap up second round play...
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for Minnesota...
- Morning links: Tim Lincecum to pitch for the...
- Adam Mangum: Picking the top 10 basketball...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 103
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 31
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10
- Adam Mangum: Picking the top 10... 8
- Brennon Anderson's 3-run blast helps... 6
- Dick Harmon: WCC baseball championship:... 5