Laura Seitz, Deseret News
DAY 7: The Utes practiced in the rain, snow and cold temperatures at Rice-Eccles Stadium Tuesday afternoon.
“At some point during the season, odds are we’re going to be playing in weather like this — maybe more than once — and so you’ve got to get used to it,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. “I don’t think we handled it particularly well today. It was probably our least productive practice of the spring. It wasn’t a bad practice. It just wasn’t as crisp and sharp as it should have been.”
STANDOUTS: Whittingham noted there were a lot of drops and poor execution on offense. Defensively, he noted that junior linebacker Gionni Paul was very active. Whittingham also praised junior linebacker Jared Norris for stepping up his game and making a bunch of plays.
EXTRA POINTS: Senior tight end Greg Reese, who is 6 foot 5 and 253 pounds, has volunteered to spend the last three weeks of camp auditioning at defensive end. ... Junior defensive tackle Seni Fauonuku returned to practiced after battling an ongoing calf injury. ... Sophomore Uaea Masina has supplanted the injured Jacoby Hale as the starter at stud linebacker. ... Andrew Albers and J.J. Dielman are listed as the co-starters at left tackle.
NEXT UP: The Utes have a “no-tackle” practice Thursday from 3-5 p.m. They’ll scrimmage at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Friday from 4-6 p.m.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25