Federal education official says technology, early learning can unlock a child's potential
Those first steps, she said, include upgrades to school infrastructure and efforts to improve technology access for all families. In addition, it's critical that educators be trained on the effective implementation of new technology, Doggett said.
"It isn’t just technology, and it isn’t just software. You’ve got to invest in your people," she said. "If you’re not going to provide the training and the support for the teachers and the parents to learn to use the technology, then it’s really been wasted."
Policymakers in Utah traditionally prefer to begin new initiatives with limited pilot programs and structured implementation as opposed to rapid statewide rollouts. Doggett said a slow and steady pace, coupled with rigorous evaluation, is responsible when considering the finite resources available to schools.
She also said national polling shows overwhelming support for a dramatic expansion of early learning initiatives, and, each year, new students are entering the public education system potentially underprepared.
"We need to act now," Doggett said. "We can't waste time."
Hulterstrom said educators need to be proactive about implementing technology and providing opportunities to students, even if state and federal funding are slow to arrive.
"Do not wait for money," he said. "We need more money. We want more money. But I think we too often use that as our excuse not to do what we need to do now."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: bjaminwood
- The integration of art into STEM sounds like...
- Is the pressure to excel too much for teens...
- Washington university cancels classes over...
- Former BYU student almost stayed in Mali...
- Utah lawmaker declines offer to lead Utah...
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes...
- Brussels schools reopen, maximum threat alert...
- New USU Brigham City building opens Dec. 1
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15
- U. leaders invite student feedback on... 12
- New school lunch regulations could turn... 12
- Washington university cancels classes... 5
- The integration of art into STEM sounds... 5
- Former BYU student almost stayed in... 4
- Harvard student to explore Syrian roots... 1
- US preschool enrollment low among... 1