Federal education official says technology, early learning can unlock a child's potential
Those first steps, she said, include upgrades to school infrastructure and efforts to improve technology access for all families. In addition, it's critical that educators be trained on the effective implementation of new technology, Doggett said.
"It isn’t just technology, and it isn’t just software. You’ve got to invest in your people," she said. "If you’re not going to provide the training and the support for the teachers and the parents to learn to use the technology, then it’s really been wasted."
Policymakers in Utah traditionally prefer to begin new initiatives with limited pilot programs and structured implementation as opposed to rapid statewide rollouts. Doggett said a slow and steady pace, coupled with rigorous evaluation, is responsible when considering the finite resources available to schools.
She also said national polling shows overwhelming support for a dramatic expansion of early learning initiatives, and, each year, new students are entering the public education system potentially underprepared.
"We need to act now," Doggett said. "We can't waste time."
Hulterstrom said educators need to be proactive about implementing technology and providing opportunities to students, even if state and federal funding are slow to arrive.
"Do not wait for money," he said. "We need more money. We want more money. But I think we too often use that as our excuse not to do what we need to do now."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: bjaminwood
- A new way to prevent date rape
- City library, school district partner to...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and...
- With so many free and cheap online courses...
- Why Zzz's get degrees: The case for later...
- Can Draper afford to save a historic piece of...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core just...
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 31
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free... 14
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Why Zzz's get degrees: The case for... 5
- University of Phoenix founder dies,... 4