UVU softball: Wolverines face Utah State on Wednesday in Provo
Utah Valley University wraps up its season series with in-state rival Utah State at 6 p.m. MT on Wednesday at BYU's Gail Miller Field. The neutral site location comes after Tuesday's originally scheduled game in Logan was cancelled due to inclement weather.
The Wolverines (10-19) have now seen nine games cancelled or postponed through the first half of this spring's season.
Utah Valley is 0-2 against USU (13-17) this season after the Aggies spoiled the Wolverines' home opener in mid-March with a doubleheader sweep. Utah State won those games by a score of 4-1 and 8-7, and it has now claimed six of its last seven meetings with UVU.
Since their sweep in Orem the Aggies have gone 3-4, falling in each of their last four contests after being swept by Fresno State in Mountain West play and dropping a single game to Southern Utah. With a .344 batting average, Victoria Saucedo continues to lead Utah State at the plate. She is also tied for the team lead in home runs and RBIs with four and 16, respectively. In the circle, Noelle Johnson holds the team's top ERA at 2.57 through 26 appearances and 16 starts this season.
Saucedo went 2-for-7 with two RBIs against UVU in the first meeting, while Johnson earned both wins after a combined 10.1 innings pitched on the day.
USU faces BYU at 4 p.m., before taking the field against Utah Valley in the nightcap.
Meanwhile, UVU enters the week riding a three-game winning streak after it swept past Bakersfield in its first-ever WAC series. The Wolverines earned all three road wins behind strong offensive performances from Dynasty Lauvai and Brittney Vansway, not to mention a solid weekend in the circle from Josi Summers. Vansway and Lauvai batted .667 and .556, respectively, against the Roadrunners, driving in five runs apiece and each connecting for a three-run home run. On the other side, Summers went 2-0 for the weekend with a 1.31 ERA in 16.0 innings pitched.
Utah Valley returns to WAC play following Wednesday's contest, traveling to face Seattle U in another three game series. The action gets underway with a doubleheader on Friday beginning at 5 p.m. MT, before concluding on Saturday with a 3 p.m. first pitch.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- College football countdown No. 37: Utah State...
- 4 Utah State linemen end up on Preseason...
- USU football: Utah State picked to finish...
- Utah State men's basketball team announces...
- USU basketball: Grayson Moore named to NABC...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20