BYU football: Bronco says bowl loss to Washington has given Cougars an added sense of urgency
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU ended last season on a sour note, suffering a 31-16 loss to Washington in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. The loss left a bit of a bad taste in the Cougars' mouths.
They've been fighting to get rid of it.
“It not only left a bad taste in my mouth, but I don’t like seeing our seniors go out that way and I don‘t like that feeling in the offseason having lost that last game,” said BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall. “So I think the urgency that it added is very helpful, but also exposed a few things personnel-wise and depth-wise and certainly special teams-wise (with) the number of players you have playing at this tempo at the end of the year.”
To remedy those issues, Mendenhall plans on using more players this coming year.
“Our freshmen may play up to 22 plays a game — our true freshmen coming in,” Mendenhall said. “So we need more bodies, more players and more people to contribute.”
WILL OVER SKILL: Mendenhall is big on slogans, but perhaps his most oft-repeated slogan hasn't come to light until this spring. Several assistants have mentioned the phrase "will over skill," which is something Mendenhall has stressed to his players since arriving at BYU as a defensive coordinator more than a decade ago.
“Since I’ve been here, I’ve never made it public. It’s just something I talk to my team about quite frequently,” Mendenhall said. “I think that what you can control is how hard you try, so I like trying to see guys try hard. (Players have) heard it a thousand times this spring (and) maybe a million times since I’ve been here, but I just haven’t put it on the billboard."
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 108
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 23
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8