BYU basketball: Thanks to influx of talent, BYU coach Dave Rose says Cougars will be better next season
“The doctors are really encouraged about how the surgery went,” Rose said. “Kyle’s really positive. He’s got to get through another couple of weeks of the recovery process, then he can start the rehab process. When he gets into the rehab, it will be good for him, for his mind and his body. He’s a worker. That’s what made him such a good, versatile player.
"The time frame fits for him to play next year. Hopefully, as we get through the rehab process, we’ll be able to figure out when he can actually get back and start going full tilt. We fully expect that to happen, and so does he.”
Once again, the Cougars will play an intriguing, and challenging, nonconference schedule, including a spot in the prestigious Maui Invitational in November.
“We always want a national, competitive tournament where we can get basketball’s elite teams on a neutral floor,” Rose said.
The Maui Invitational teams are Arizona, Kansas State, Pitt, Missouri, San Diego State, Purdue and Chaminade.
“The field is tremendous,” Rose said. “Our guys are really excited about that. Playing successful programs really helped us as far as getting back to the NCAA tournament this year.”
BYU’s home games include matchups against Stanford, UMass and Utah, and the Cougars will play Utah State and Weber State on the road.
“The majority of the schedule is put together,” Rose said. “We have a few games we have to fill in. Hopefully, we’ll get that done soon.”
Final record: 23-12 overall, 13-5 West Coast Conference
Statistical leaders: Tyler Haws (23.2 ppg), Kyle Collinsworth (8.1 rpg, 6.4 apg)
Key returners: Haws, Collinsworth, Matt Carlino, Anson Winder, Nate Austin, Skyler Halford, Frank Bartley IV
Key newcomers: F Jamal Aytes, G Chase Fischer, C Isaac Neilson, F Ryan Andrus, G Jordan Chatman
Key losses for 2014-15 season: F Eric Mika
Rose says: "I really like our roster, with depth on the guard line and depth at the post. I feel pretty confident about the makeup of our roster.”
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13