BYU basketball: Thanks to influx of talent, BYU coach Dave Rose says Cougars will be better next season
“The doctors are really encouraged about how the surgery went,” Rose said. “Kyle’s really positive. He’s got to get through another couple of weeks of the recovery process, then he can start the rehab process. When he gets into the rehab, it will be good for him, for his mind and his body. He’s a worker. That’s what made him such a good, versatile player.
"The time frame fits for him to play next year. Hopefully, as we get through the rehab process, we’ll be able to figure out when he can actually get back and start going full tilt. We fully expect that to happen, and so does he.”
Once again, the Cougars will play an intriguing, and challenging, nonconference schedule, including a spot in the prestigious Maui Invitational in November.
“We always want a national, competitive tournament where we can get basketball’s elite teams on a neutral floor,” Rose said.
The Maui Invitational teams are Arizona, Kansas State, Pitt, Missouri, San Diego State, Purdue and Chaminade.
“The field is tremendous,” Rose said. “Our guys are really excited about that. Playing successful programs really helped us as far as getting back to the NCAA tournament this year.”
BYU’s home games include matchups against Stanford, UMass and Utah, and the Cougars will play Utah State and Weber State on the road.
“The majority of the schedule is put together,” Rose said. “We have a few games we have to fill in. Hopefully, we’ll get that done soon.”
Final record: 23-12 overall, 13-5 West Coast Conference
Statistical leaders: Tyler Haws (23.2 ppg), Kyle Collinsworth (8.1 rpg, 6.4 apg)
Key returners: Haws, Collinsworth, Matt Carlino, Anson Winder, Nate Austin, Skyler Halford, Frank Bartley IV
Key newcomers: F Jamal Aytes, G Chase Fischer, C Isaac Neilson, F Ryan Andrus, G Jordan Chatman
Key losses for 2014-15 season: F Eric Mika
Rose says: "I really like our roster, with depth on the guard line and depth at the post. I feel pretty confident about the makeup of our roster.”
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- With rookie Dante Exum in starting lineup,...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 52
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- Morning links: Home stretch of... 31
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 27