BYU basketball: Thanks to influx of talent, BYU coach Dave Rose says Cougars will be better next season
“The doctors are really encouraged about how the surgery went,” Rose said. “Kyle’s really positive. He’s got to get through another couple of weeks of the recovery process, then he can start the rehab process. When he gets into the rehab, it will be good for him, for his mind and his body. He’s a worker. That’s what made him such a good, versatile player.
"The time frame fits for him to play next year. Hopefully, as we get through the rehab process, we’ll be able to figure out when he can actually get back and start going full tilt. We fully expect that to happen, and so does he.”
Once again, the Cougars will play an intriguing, and challenging, nonconference schedule, including a spot in the prestigious Maui Invitational in November.
“We always want a national, competitive tournament where we can get basketball’s elite teams on a neutral floor,” Rose said.
The Maui Invitational teams are Arizona, Kansas State, Pitt, Missouri, San Diego State, Purdue and Chaminade.
“The field is tremendous,” Rose said. “Our guys are really excited about that. Playing successful programs really helped us as far as getting back to the NCAA tournament this year.”
BYU’s home games include matchups against Stanford, UMass and Utah, and the Cougars will play Utah State and Weber State on the road.
“The majority of the schedule is put together,” Rose said. “We have a few games we have to fill in. Hopefully, we’ll get that done soon.”
Final record: 23-12 overall, 13-5 West Coast Conference
Statistical leaders: Tyler Haws (23.2 ppg), Kyle Collinsworth (8.1 rpg, 6.4 apg)
Key returners: Haws, Collinsworth, Matt Carlino, Anson Winder, Nate Austin, Skyler Halford, Frank Bartley IV
Key newcomers: F Jamal Aytes, G Chase Fischer, C Isaac Neilson, F Ryan Andrus, G Jordan Chatman
Key losses for 2014-15 season: F Eric Mika
Rose says: "I really like our roster, with depth on the guard line and depth at the post. I feel pretty confident about the makeup of our roster.”
- Utes ready to show off new field Saturday...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get...
- Defensive-minded Utah Jazz open preseason...
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- Magic happens: Former BYU receiver Austin...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- Looking back and ahead at BYU's football...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 51
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 33
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 21