Johnson withdraws from 4th District congressional race
Jordan Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Republican Jennifer Johnson, a member of the State Board of Education, said Monday she is withdrawing as a candidate for the 4th District congressional seat.
"It is just not the right time for me, my family, my profession, my community and my work on the State Board of Education," said Johnson, the owner of an investment management company.
Johnson had said when she filed that she was still studying "the need for and feasibility of my candidacy" after hearing from voters that more choices were needed in the race.
After deciding not to go forward, Johnson said she was not ready to endorse either of the two remaining GOP candidates in the race, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love and retired telecommunications executive Bob Fuehr.
In 2012, Love nearly beat Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, in the state's newest congressional district. Matheson, the only Democratic member of Utah's congressional delegation, is not seeking re-election after seven terms.
Johnson said she filed for the office in part because of how she felt after the Republicans failed to unseat Matheson.
"I'm a lifelong Republican, and I had been hopeful for a red seat," she said. "It was just too bad."
First elected to a four-year term on the State School Board in 2012, the Murray resident said that's "where I'm going to be focusing. But we'll see what the future holds."
Also in the 4th District race are Democrats Doug Owens and Bill Peterson, along with Libertarian Jim Vein, Independent American Party candidate Tim Aalders and Constitution Party candidate Collin Robert Simonson.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Pilot sentenced for groping teenage girl on...
- Republican, Democratic political insiders say...
- Republican, Democratic political... 44
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 39
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19