SANDY — Three finalists, including two Utah educators, were named Monday as finalists for the position of Canyons School District superintendent.
The finalists include Canyons Assistant Superintendent Kathryn McCarrie, Washington County School District administrator Craig Hammer and James Briscoe, a superintendent of schools in Dekalb, Ill.
According to a prepared statement, the finalists were selected by the Canyons Board of Education after three days of interviews with a select pool of candidates from around the country.
"It truly was a challenge to narrow the list to just three finalists," said Sherril Taylor, board president. "However, the board remains dedicated to finding the best possible leader for the district, and we're confident in the skills, talents and experience of those who remain in consideration for this vitally important position."
The board intends to conduct further interviews and select a new superintendent before July 1, when interim Superintendent Ginger Rhode will retire.
Rhode has served in the position since June 2013, following the resignation of the district's inaugural superintendent David Doty to join Education Direction, a Utah-based education consulting firm.
Canyons School District was created in 2008 after a split from the Jordan School District. The school district serves more than 33,670 students, according to Utah State Office of Education data, making it the fifth-largest school district in the state.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21