UVU basketball: Hunsaker named DI-AAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Utah Valley University senior Holton Hunsaker was named the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete of the Year and to the Scholar-Athlete Team, it was announced Monday by the association.
It marks the second straight year Hunsaker, also a second-team Capital One Academic All-America honoree, has been named to the scholar-athlete team. He holds a 3.88 cumulative GPA and will graduate in April with a degree in accounting.
"What terrific recognition for Holton and his efforts to maximize his educational opportunity," UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "It's special to have Utah Valley University's academic programs acknowledged through our student-athletes."
Hunsaker has a long list of athletic and academic awards and honors to his name in addition to the DI-AAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Academic All-America. A first-team All-WAC player after leading the Wolverines to the WAC regular season title, Hunsaker is also a two-time Capital One Academic All-District 8 Team member, the 2012-13 Great West Conference Scholar-Athlete of the Year, a three-time All-Great West Conference performer and a two-time Academic All-Great West Conference selection.
"This means a lot to me and my family," Holton said. "I'm very appreciative of the academic advisors and my professors and for what they've done to help me during my time at UVU."
In total, 10 men's and 10 women's basketball players were named to the 12th Annual DI-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Teams. Hunsaker is the only player on the team from the WAC on the men's side while two players, Eilise O'Connor (Kansas City) and Kacie Sowell (Seattle U), represent the WAC on the women's team.
“Our Association prides itself in honoring our student-athletes for both their on-field and academic achievements each year,” said Tim Hall, chair of the Division I-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Team Selection Committee and athletics director at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. “We want to congratulate this year’s scholar-athlete award winners, the scholar-athletes of the year and the Postgraduate Scholarship recipients for their outstanding accomplishments.”
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37