UVU basketball: Hunsaker named DI-AAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Utah Valley University senior Holton Hunsaker was named the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete of the Year and to the Scholar-Athlete Team, it was announced Monday by the association.
It marks the second straight year Hunsaker, also a second-team Capital One Academic All-America honoree, has been named to the scholar-athlete team. He holds a 3.88 cumulative GPA and will graduate in April with a degree in accounting.
"What terrific recognition for Holton and his efforts to maximize his educational opportunity," UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "It's special to have Utah Valley University's academic programs acknowledged through our student-athletes."
Hunsaker has a long list of athletic and academic awards and honors to his name in addition to the DI-AAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Academic All-America. A first-team All-WAC player after leading the Wolverines to the WAC regular season title, Hunsaker is also a two-time Capital One Academic All-District 8 Team member, the 2012-13 Great West Conference Scholar-Athlete of the Year, a three-time All-Great West Conference performer and a two-time Academic All-Great West Conference selection.
"This means a lot to me and my family," Holton said. "I'm very appreciative of the academic advisors and my professors and for what they've done to help me during my time at UVU."
In total, 10 men's and 10 women's basketball players were named to the 12th Annual DI-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Teams. Hunsaker is the only player on the team from the WAC on the men's side while two players, Eilise O'Connor (Kansas City) and Kacie Sowell (Seattle U), represent the WAC on the women's team.
“Our Association prides itself in honoring our student-athletes for both their on-field and academic achievements each year,” said Tim Hall, chair of the Division I-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Team Selection Committee and athletics director at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. “We want to congratulate this year’s scholar-athlete award winners, the scholar-athletes of the year and the Postgraduate Scholarship recipients for their outstanding accomplishments.”
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 20
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19