UVU basketball: Hunsaker named DI-AAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year
Utah Valley University senior Holton Hunsaker was named the Division I-AAA Athletics Directors Association Scholar-Athlete of the Year and to the Scholar-Athlete Team, it was announced Monday by the association.
It marks the second straight year Hunsaker, also a second-team Capital One Academic All-America honoree, has been named to the scholar-athlete team. He holds a 3.88 cumulative GPA and will graduate in April with a degree in accounting.
"What terrific recognition for Holton and his efforts to maximize his educational opportunity," UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "It's special to have Utah Valley University's academic programs acknowledged through our student-athletes."
Hunsaker has a long list of athletic and academic awards and honors to his name in addition to the DI-AAA Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Academic All-America. A first-team All-WAC player after leading the Wolverines to the WAC regular season title, Hunsaker is also a two-time Capital One Academic All-District 8 Team member, the 2012-13 Great West Conference Scholar-Athlete of the Year, a three-time All-Great West Conference performer and a two-time Academic All-Great West Conference selection.
"This means a lot to me and my family," Holton said. "I'm very appreciative of the academic advisors and my professors and for what they've done to help me during my time at UVU."
In total, 10 men's and 10 women's basketball players were named to the 12th Annual DI-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Teams. Hunsaker is the only player on the team from the WAC on the men's side while two players, Eilise O'Connor (Kansas City) and Kacie Sowell (Seattle U), represent the WAC on the women's team.
“Our Association prides itself in honoring our student-athletes for both their on-field and academic achievements each year,” said Tim Hall, chair of the Division I-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Team Selection Committee and athletics director at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. “We want to congratulate this year’s scholar-athlete award winners, the scholar-athletes of the year and the Postgraduate Scholarship recipients for their outstanding accomplishments.”
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 32
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 27