Angel Moroni statue ascends to top of Provo City Center Temple
Her 5-year-old daughter Bella had peppered her with questions as the statue went up.
"Why do we put him up there?" she asked about Moroni.
Murray had an answer but considered it too technical, so she texted her husband for a Bella-sized answer.
"Tell her that's the direction his trumpet will call when Jesus comes again," he wrote.
Both Murray and her daughter thought that was perfect.
Provoans who had attended their own or their children's graduations, school concerts, church meetings and other events in the tabernacle were thrilled in October 2011 when church President Thomas S. Monson announced plans to build a temple inside the remaining walls.
The project required immense work underneath the foundation, and people soon gawked at the stilts that held up the building as excavation made way for an underground garage and a new foundation with waterproofing features due to a high water table.
"It's mind-boggling," said Hansen, who attended a recent meeting with missionaries assigned to the project. "It's built like a boat, totally waterproof, with five-and-a-half layers of concrete, drainage and waterproof materials.
"It's so meaningful to me how the church took a fragile old building and made it so secure."
Angel statues have adorned temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since 1846, when the faith completed a temple in Nauvoo, Ill.
The first temple to have a statue specifically identified as the Angel Moroni was the Salt Lake Temple. Today, most LDS temples have an Angel Moroni statue perched on a spire, facing east.
For Latter-day Saints, temples are different from meetinghouses or chapels where they gather each Sunday. In temples, they perform sacred ordinances and ceremonies, including marriage, for themselves and the dead.
Construction of the second LDS temple in Provo has generated major buzz in the city and city leaders beamed Monday as they snapped photos and took video.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Sadie Robertson lets her light shine during...
- Watch: LDS musician Lindsey Stirling speaks...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- LDS Church releases 'He Is The Gift'...
- Ask Angela: Should I end this relationship...
- Utah mother celebrates Thanksgiving with...
- David Archuleta, Mormon Tabernacle Choir,...
- New friends plan to work together to... 54
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- John Jones died in a cave, but his... 11
- Ask Angela: Should I end this... 9
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon 8
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6
- 7 bizarre ways religious leaders have... 5