Soccer player may have saved opponent's life after opponent is knocked out on pitch (+video)
An astounding act of heroism on the soccer pitch may have saved an opponent’s life in the Ukrainian Premier League on Sunday.
It all happened in the 22nd minute in a match between Dynamo Kiev and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, when Kiev’s Oleh Husiev was knocked out cold after a collision with Dnipro’s goalkeeper.
However, Dnipro’s Jaba Kankava noticed something was wrong and did not hesitate, rushing to Husiev’s aid within seconds of the collision. Kankava then made sure Husiev’s airway was open, as doctors rushed to the scene.
According to Business Insider, one report from the stadium noted Husiev “appeared to swallow his tongue during the collision,” which blocked his airway after he was knock unconscious.
Husiev was taken to a hospital, where he received a “a closed craniocerebral injury, medium severity concussion, facial soft tissue bruise, big graze on the face, mandibular joint bruise and damage of three teeth,” according to a Kiev press release.
Dnipro won the match 2-0, but all of that seems irrelevant.
Check out the harrowing moments in the video above.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16