Soccer player may have saved opponent's life after opponent is knocked out on pitch (+video)
An astounding act of heroism on the soccer pitch may have saved an opponent’s life in the Ukrainian Premier League on Sunday.
It all happened in the 22nd minute in a match between Dynamo Kiev and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, when Kiev’s Oleh Husiev was knocked out cold after a collision with Dnipro’s goalkeeper.
However, Dnipro’s Jaba Kankava noticed something was wrong and did not hesitate, rushing to Husiev’s aid within seconds of the collision. Kankava then made sure Husiev’s airway was open, as doctors rushed to the scene.
According to Business Insider, one report from the stadium noted Husiev “appeared to swallow his tongue during the collision,” which blocked his airway after he was knock unconscious.
Husiev was taken to a hospital, where he received a “a closed craniocerebral injury, medium severity concussion, facial soft tissue bruise, big graze on the face, mandibular joint bruise and damage of three teeth,” according to a Kiev press release.
Dnipro won the match 2-0, but all of that seems irrelevant.
Check out the harrowing moments in the video above.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to lead...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- 40-foot jumper by Lexi Rydalch secures BYU's...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- High school wrestling: Pleasant Grove dynasty...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 56
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 54
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 50
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39