Soccer player may have saved opponent's life after opponent is knocked out on pitch (+video)
An astounding act of heroism on the soccer pitch may have saved an opponent’s life in the Ukrainian Premier League on Sunday.
It all happened in the 22nd minute in a match between Dynamo Kiev and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, when Kiev’s Oleh Husiev was knocked out cold after a collision with Dnipro’s goalkeeper.
However, Dnipro’s Jaba Kankava noticed something was wrong and did not hesitate, rushing to Husiev’s aid within seconds of the collision. Kankava then made sure Husiev’s airway was open, as doctors rushed to the scene.
According to Business Insider, one report from the stadium noted Husiev “appeared to swallow his tongue during the collision,” which blocked his airway after he was knock unconscious.
Husiev was taken to a hospital, where he received a “a closed craniocerebral injury, medium severity concussion, facial soft tissue bruise, big graze on the face, mandibular joint bruise and damage of three teeth,” according to a Kiev press release.
Dnipro won the match 2-0, but all of that seems irrelevant.
Check out the harrowing moments in the video above.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24