Mike Sorensen: NCAA tournament is great but needs some tweaks
My solution is to let the official at the scorer’s table (there’s always a backup official for NCAA games) take a look and immediately rule on the obvious calls. If it’s questionable, he could make a decision and call the other officials over to confirm it. If it’s just too uncertain, let the original call stand — but do it quickly.
There are already enough late timeouts in these games to have to waste another five or 10 minutes trying to figure out whose fingernail the ball last touched.
If it’s not bad enough that we hear every year that the SEC is the best football conference in the country, now we have to say it’s the best in basketball. At least it is in the NCAA tournament. With Kentucky joining Florida in the Final Four and Tennessee making the Sweet 16, the league has had an impressive 10-1 record in the NCAA tournament.
The Big Ten had a chance to get three teams in the Final Four, but both Michigan and Michigan State failed in their bids Sunday afternoon and the league ended up with a 10-5 mark in the tourney.
The most disappointing conference had to be the Big 12, which was ranked No. 1 by most experts after the regular season and put seven teams in the tourney. However, none made it as far as the final eight and the league went just 6-7 in the NCAAs.
The other disappointing league was the Atlantic 10, which put six teams in the tournament, but ended up with a 4-6 record with three of those wins coming from fifth-place Dayton.
The American Athletic, the new league that includes Louisville and Final Four surprise Connecticut, has done very well with a 7-3 record so far.
The Pac-12 won the third-most NCAA games of any conference with eight victories thanks to two teams (UCLA and Stanford) making the Sweet 16 and Arizona the Elite Eight.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Rookie Rodney Hood wins award, Jazz lose...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 24
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16