Mike Sorensen: NCAA tournament is great but needs some tweaks
My solution is to let the official at the scorer’s table (there’s always a backup official for NCAA games) take a look and immediately rule on the obvious calls. If it’s questionable, he could make a decision and call the other officials over to confirm it. If it’s just too uncertain, let the original call stand — but do it quickly.
There are already enough late timeouts in these games to have to waste another five or 10 minutes trying to figure out whose fingernail the ball last touched.
If it’s not bad enough that we hear every year that the SEC is the best football conference in the country, now we have to say it’s the best in basketball. At least it is in the NCAA tournament. With Kentucky joining Florida in the Final Four and Tennessee making the Sweet 16, the league has had an impressive 10-1 record in the NCAA tournament.
The Big Ten had a chance to get three teams in the Final Four, but both Michigan and Michigan State failed in their bids Sunday afternoon and the league ended up with a 10-5 mark in the tourney.
The most disappointing conference had to be the Big 12, which was ranked No. 1 by most experts after the regular season and put seven teams in the tourney. However, none made it as far as the final eight and the league went just 6-7 in the NCAAs.
The other disappointing league was the Atlantic 10, which put six teams in the tournament, but ended up with a 4-6 record with three of those wins coming from fifth-place Dayton.
The American Athletic, the new league that includes Louisville and Final Four surprise Connecticut, has done very well with a 7-3 record so far.
The Pac-12 won the third-most NCAA games of any conference with eight victories thanks to two teams (UCLA and Stanford) making the Sweet 16 and Arizona the Elite Eight.
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Return to Utah allows Southern Virginia...
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 135
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 86
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- Utes still have outside chance at... 27
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24
- Utah moves up to No. 20/21 after... 22
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21