BYU women's basketball: Cougars hope Sweet 16 run serves as springboard for future success
“It has been an amazing season. No one expected us to do anything,” said guard Xojian Harry. “Everyone expected us to lose that first game in the tournament. Before that, we were picked fourth in our conference. We had faith in ourselves. We knew we had a great team, and we played BYU basketball. This will be a season I never forget.”
BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe, who attended Saturday’s Sweet 16 game in Lincoln, is very happy with the direction of the women’s basketball program.
"We have had a solid women’s basketball program under Jeff's direction, including conference championships and postseason appearances,” Holmoe said. “Advancing to the Sweet 16 is another great achievement for the program. Building a winning tradition is not easy in college athletics. I feel our women’s basketball program can continue to gain strength through effective recruiting, continued player development and precise coaching.
“Jeff has worked hard to build a tradition of winning at BYU,” Holmoe continued. “He has put together a strong coaching staff, recruited great student-athletes, and has them competing at a very high level. Jeff has a great deal of basketball experience both as a player and a coach, and has the program in a position to achieve more and more. We're grateful for his commitment to our student-athletes and our women's basketball program."
For the players, preparation for next season begins Monday — two days after throwing a scare into the No. 1 team in the country.
“You can’t be too disappointed with the effort that we put into it,” Eaton said. “We’re definitely excited for the future.”
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 15