BYU track: Dalton, Stetler highlight great weekend for Cougars
Chase Dalton won the decathlon at the Texas Relays, and Zachary Stetler took first in the discus and the shot put at the Aztec Invitational to lead BYU men’s track as the team split to three meets this weekend.
“I was pleased with the all-around effort,” associate head coach Mark Robison said. “The throwers did really well this week. They were the highlight of the (Aztec Invitational). We got some good marks to qualify for regionals.”
At the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, Dalton scored 7,642 points to beat three former multi-event NCAA champions to win the decathlon, giving him the highest point total in the country during this outdoor season. Also at the Texas Relays, Kyle Baker took third in the javelin with a mark of 65.16 meters.
The throwers stole the show at the Aztec Invitational led by Zachary Stetler, who took first in the discus (52.36m) and shot put (17.96m), recording personal bests in both events. Winston Wilkinson and Aaron Clark took second and third, respectively, in the discus. Mitchell Swensen placed fourth in the shot put. Wyatt Warnick placed first in the javelin, recording a personal best throw of 58.94 meters.
At the UVU Invitational, Adam Mikkelsen led the Cougars as he took first in the pole vault, clearing 5.00 meters.
BYU travels to Palo Alto, Calif., to compete in the Stanford Invitational next weekend. Details of the meet can be found on Stanford's website.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: email@example.com
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- BYU holds on for 78-74 win over San Francisco
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- BYU basketball analysis: Cougars' big men...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 73
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by... 16