BYU track: Dalton, Stetler highlight great weekend for Cougars
Chase Dalton won the decathlon at the Texas Relays, and Zachary Stetler took first in the discus and the shot put at the Aztec Invitational to lead BYU men’s track as the team split to three meets this weekend.
“I was pleased with the all-around effort,” associate head coach Mark Robison said. “The throwers did really well this week. They were the highlight of the (Aztec Invitational). We got some good marks to qualify for regionals.”
At the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, Dalton scored 7,642 points to beat three former multi-event NCAA champions to win the decathlon, giving him the highest point total in the country during this outdoor season. Also at the Texas Relays, Kyle Baker took third in the javelin with a mark of 65.16 meters.
The throwers stole the show at the Aztec Invitational led by Zachary Stetler, who took first in the discus (52.36m) and shot put (17.96m), recording personal bests in both events. Winston Wilkinson and Aaron Clark took second and third, respectively, in the discus. Mitchell Swensen placed fourth in the shot put. Wyatt Warnick placed first in the javelin, recording a personal best throw of 58.94 meters.
At the UVU Invitational, Adam Mikkelsen led the Cougars as he took first in the pole vault, clearing 5.00 meters.
BYU travels to Palo Alto, Calif., to compete in the Stanford Invitational next weekend. Details of the meet can be found on Stanford's website.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Looking ahead, behind at the Cougars' and...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 14
- BYU, Nevada both struggling in pass... 13
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Nevada... 10