BYU track: Dalton, Stetler highlight great weekend for Cougars
Chase Dalton won the decathlon at the Texas Relays, and Zachary Stetler took first in the discus and the shot put at the Aztec Invitational to lead BYU men’s track as the team split to three meets this weekend.
“I was pleased with the all-around effort,” associate head coach Mark Robison said. “The throwers did really well this week. They were the highlight of the (Aztec Invitational). We got some good marks to qualify for regionals.”
At the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, Dalton scored 7,642 points to beat three former multi-event NCAA champions to win the decathlon, giving him the highest point total in the country during this outdoor season. Also at the Texas Relays, Kyle Baker took third in the javelin with a mark of 65.16 meters.
The throwers stole the show at the Aztec Invitational led by Zachary Stetler, who took first in the discus (52.36m) and shot put (17.96m), recording personal bests in both events. Winston Wilkinson and Aaron Clark took second and third, respectively, in the discus. Mitchell Swensen placed fourth in the shot put. Wyatt Warnick placed first in the javelin, recording a personal best throw of 58.94 meters.
At the UVU Invitational, Adam Mikkelsen led the Cougars as he took first in the pole vault, clearing 5.00 meters.
BYU travels to Palo Alto, Calif., to compete in the Stanford Invitational next weekend. Details of the meet can be found on Stanford's website.
Justin Green is the SID over men's track and cross country for BYU Athletic Communications as well as BYU Rugby. He is a BYU student majoring in public relations and minoring in business and will graduate in April 2014. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup: Baylor,...
- Twitter reacts to Big 12 expansion developments
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down Big 12...
- College football countdown No. 43: BYU...
- Athlete's tribute: 'Show me a legend and...
- BYU volleyball: 10 Cougars named to WCC...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37