BYU women's basketball: Cougars may have helped UConn's pursuit of another national title
ERIC GREGORY, LINCOLN JOURNAL STAR
LINCOLN, Neb. — Maybe BYU did UConn a favor Saturday at Pinnacle Bank Arena.
The Cougars made the defending national champions squirm in the first half, and they were tied with the Huskies, 37-37, four minutes into the second half.
Ultimately, UConn beat BYU, 70-51, to advance to the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament. The Huskies extended their winning streak to 43 games.
Against BYU, UConn faced some adversity, something it’s not accustomed to. Before Saturday, the Huskies had never trailed in the second half all year.
"It was good for us to go through that," said UConn coach Geno Auriemma.
UConn barely broke a sweat in beating its first two tournament opponents by 43 and 49 points, respectively.
Meanwhile, the red-clad Nebraska fans attending the game, having watched the Cougars knock their Cornhuskers out of the tournament last Monday, threw their support behind BYU.
Now, Auriemma might have his team’s attention, and Saturday’s game just might help his players the rest of the tournament.
The Huskies meet No. 3 seed Texas A&M Monday for a shot at the Final Four. The Aggies downed No. 7 DePaul Saturday, 84-65.
“Yeah, there are always one of these games in the tournament. I would hope there is only one,” Auriemma said. “There is going to come a game, whether it is the first one, second one or third one. I have usually found the game on Monday night is really, really hard to win. That has always been the hardest game to win — the game that puts you in the Final Four. Once you get to the Final Four, it is just a coin flip.”
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35