SALT LAKE CITY — Utah senior linebacker Jacoby Hale suffered an ACL tear in his right knee Thursday and will require surgery.
“It’s unfortunate. It’s his senior year,” Whittingham said. “It’s not out of the question he could get rehabbed and get back at some point early or mid-season if everything goes well. We’ll just have to see how it goes.”
Hale, who entered the week atop the depth chart at stud linebacker, made 37 tackles in nine games last season — making 10 tackles-for-loss, 6.5 sacks and three pass breakups.
“It just breaks your heart,” said Whittingham, who noted that it’s the worst part of the game when injuries like this happen.
Whittingham said he has seen players come back from similar injuries as fast as four months, but explained that is absolutely pushing the envelope as far as your can push it. The typical recovery period, he added, is seven months.
“So my guess is it’ll be somewhere in between,” Whittingham said.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 47
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45