UVU baseball: Wolverines fall in series opener against Bakersfield
Utah Valley dropped the opener of a three-game WAC series to Bakersfield, 10-4, on Friday night at Brent Brown Ballpark.
Colby Croft had a 3-for-4 day for the Wolverines (7-18, 1-3) with a pair of doubles and two RBIs. Sean Moysh also went 3-for-5 for UVU, while the Roadrunners (11-13, 4-3) were led at the plate by Mylz Jones’ 3-for-4 night, which included two doubles.
"On a night when he didn't have his best stuff I thought Andrew Freter battled for us," head coach Eric Madsen said of the Wolverines' starting pitcher. "It was good to see Colby and Sean break out of the slumps they've been in but give credit to Bakersfield. We need to come out with a better approach tomorrow."
The 'Runners led 4-0 after two in the second and two more in the fifth. Oscar Sanay and Ross Hough had RBI base hits for CSUB, while Jones and Max Carter had run-scoring hits in the fifth.
The Wolverines got one back in the sixth, scoring on an errant throw, but Bakersfield used a four-run seventh inning to take an 8-1 lead.
Taylor Aikenhead pitched into the eighth for the Runners, striking out 11 while allowing three earned runs (four total) on 10 hits. He moved to 4-3 with the win.
The Wolverines scored three in the eighth with two coming on Croft’s double to left-center. Riley White also had an RBI single in the inning before CSUB added two in the top of the ninth.
The series concludes on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 3 p.m. MT. The game that was scheduled for Sunday was moved due to impending weather.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU golf: Utah Valley remains in third place...
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 17
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep... 0