Sophomore Nicolette Tran delivered in doubles and singles, helping No. 51 BYU women’s tennis to its fourth straight victory in a 5-2 win over Loyola Marymount on Friday.
“The girls fought hard today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “It was a good match for us, and we are looking forward to playing even better tomorrow.”
With the win, the Cougars improve to 8-6 on the season and 4-0 in West Coast Conference play. The Lions dropped to 6-10 and 0-3 in conference.
Tran and teammate Savannah Ware secured the doubles point for the Cougars by topping Lauri Mueller and Ellie Grossman, 8-6.
With BYU up 3-0, Tran pulled through with the match-clinching victory at third singles over Miya Jin, 6-3, 6-4.
Freshman Mayci Jones was the first to take care of her opponent in singles, overpowering Kouyoumjian at the No. 1 slot, 6-3, 6-1.
Freshman Ware continued her solid play at No. 5 with a convincing win over Rohonyi, 7-5, 6-2.
The Cougars added the fifth point of the match on Toby Miclat’s three-set win. The current WCC Player of the Week fell in the first set, 4-6, before coming back to win in the final two with the shortened third set, 6-2, 10-6.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to transfer to UVU
- College football countdown No. 36: BYU...
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'...
- 10 locals, including six BYU players, named...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15