UVU softball: Summers goes the distance as UVU snags first WAC win
Josi Summers threw a complete game and Brittney Vansway had a perfect day at the plate as Utah Valley University defeated Bakersfield in its Western Athletic Conference debut by a score of 4-1 on Friday afternoon.
The win not only snaps a five-game slide but is the first WAC win in program history for UVU (8-19, 1-0 WAC), which spent the previous four seasons in the Pacific Coast Softball Conference.
"Josi had a very effective and consistent day in the circle and her defense played very strong behind her," Utah Valley head coach Nikki Palmer said. "At the same time, Brittney was locked in at the plate and saw the ball very well. She put the ball in the green on every hit and had a great day."
After Dynasty Lauvai walked and Morgan Summers reached on an error, the duo pulled off the double steal to situate themselves into scoring position with one out. Vansway came through in her first at-bat, singling into center field to score Lauvai and Summers. The freshman added two more singles on the afternoon to complete the first multi-hit game of her young career.
The two runs in the top of the first were all Summers would need as the senior improved to 5-11 after allowing just one earned run on four hits in a complete-game 7.0 innings pitched. The `Runners got a run back in the top of the first but could conjure no more as Summers went on to strike out five along the way to the victory.
The Wolverines added a couple insurance runs in the next two innings, getting an RBI double from Lauvai in the top of the second. Vansway tacked on a run scored in the third, scampering home from third on a two-out error — one of four on the afternoon for CSUB.
The WAC-opening series rolls on for UVU and CSUB with a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m. MT.
Kellen Hiser is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating 'love...
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend with...
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to Friday...
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC finale,...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early deficit...
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead at...
- UVU baseball: Wolverines complete sweep of CSUB
- UVU graduates charged with cultivating... 1
- UVU golf: Nyhus selected as WAC... 0
- UVU golf: Utah Valley set for WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines open weekend... 0
- UVU softball: late surge leads UVU to... 0
- UVU softball: Wolverines drop WAC... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines erase early... 0
- UVU golf: Wright takes first round lead... 0