The Cougars (7-11) fell to 1-2 in West Coast Conference play, while the Lions (11-6) improved to 3-2 in the conference.
“We had some good performances from Francis (Sargeant) and Matthew (Pearce) today,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They won their doubles match, Frankie took care of business in straight sets on his court, and Matthew won.”
In doubles action, LMU took the point as BYU fell at the first and third spots by the score of 8-5 in both matches.
At second doubles, Sargeant and Pearce dominated with an 8-4 win over Luke Bohuslav and Daniel Simko.
With the Lions up 1-0, the gap widened as Jacob Sullivan fell at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-2. The freshman Pearce helped the Cougars claw back, coasting by Luke Bohuslav, 6-3, 6-2.
At No. 1 singles, Sargeant cruised in a two-set win over David Doehring, 6-3, 6-3, chipping away at the 3-1 deficit.
Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov was ousted at No. 2 singles in straight sets as LMU clinched the match.
“I think we’re just going to focus on our bright spots right now,” coach Pearce said. “I think Francis and Matthew did a great job and they’re coming along nicely. Clearly, we need to get some guys performing better in doubles play and get productivity out of every position. That’s what we’re searching for.”
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- Randy Hollis: Finally, the state's 'Big Four'...
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 46
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 44
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12