The Cougars (7-11) fell to 1-2 in West Coast Conference play, while the Lions (11-6) improved to 3-2 in the conference.
“We had some good performances from Francis (Sargeant) and Matthew (Pearce) today,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They won their doubles match, Frankie took care of business in straight sets on his court, and Matthew won.”
In doubles action, LMU took the point as BYU fell at the first and third spots by the score of 8-5 in both matches.
At second doubles, Sargeant and Pearce dominated with an 8-4 win over Luke Bohuslav and Daniel Simko.
With the Lions up 1-0, the gap widened as Jacob Sullivan fell at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-2. The freshman Pearce helped the Cougars claw back, coasting by Luke Bohuslav, 6-3, 6-2.
At No. 1 singles, Sargeant cruised in a two-set win over David Doehring, 6-3, 6-3, chipping away at the 3-1 deficit.
Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov was ousted at No. 2 singles in straight sets as LMU clinched the match.
“I think we’re just going to focus on our bright spots right now,” coach Pearce said. “I think Francis and Matthew did a great job and they’re coming along nicely. Clearly, we need to get some guys performing better in doubles play and get productivity out of every position. That’s what we’re searching for.”
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- BYU football: Senior Craig Bills anchors...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's D-line deeper than... 16