The Cougars (7-11) fell to 1-2 in West Coast Conference play, while the Lions (11-6) improved to 3-2 in the conference.
“We had some good performances from Francis (Sargeant) and Matthew (Pearce) today,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They won their doubles match, Frankie took care of business in straight sets on his court, and Matthew won.”
In doubles action, LMU took the point as BYU fell at the first and third spots by the score of 8-5 in both matches.
At second doubles, Sargeant and Pearce dominated with an 8-4 win over Luke Bohuslav and Daniel Simko.
With the Lions up 1-0, the gap widened as Jacob Sullivan fell at No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-2. The freshman Pearce helped the Cougars claw back, coasting by Luke Bohuslav, 6-3, 6-2.
At No. 1 singles, Sargeant cruised in a two-set win over David Doehring, 6-3, 6-3, chipping away at the 3-1 deficit.
Sophomore Andrey Goryachkov was ousted at No. 2 singles in straight sets as LMU clinched the match.
“I think we’re just going to focus on our bright spots right now,” coach Pearce said. “I think Francis and Matthew did a great job and they’re coming along nicely. Clearly, we need to get some guys performing better in doubles play and get productivity out of every position. That’s what we’re searching for.”
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 35
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU... 35