Utah Jazz: Pelicans lose Anthony Davis, but still beat turnover-plagued Jazz
But, as has happened so many times recently, the Jazz wilted down the stretch. New Orleans hit 13 of 17 free throws in the final minute to clinch the victory with Davis in the training room.
“Whenever a team’s best player goes down, other guys try to step up, try to fill that void,” Jazz center Derrick Favors said. “Their whole team just started playing harder. The other guys did a god job of just being aggressive without him being in there.”
Favors had another double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds, mostly against Davis’ backup, 7-2 center Alexis Ajinca.
The Jazz big man admitted it was disappointing that his team didn’t do a better job of exploiting New Orleans without their main man.
“Anthony Davis is a good player,” Favors said. “When he went down, we should have taken advantage of that and tried to get the win.”
Instead, Utah, which next plays Sunday afternoon at Oklahoma City, lost for the 14th time in 16 outings. The Jazz now find themselves in their eighth separate losing streak of at least three games this season.
That, even though the Pelicans were without key players Davis, Eric Gordon (knee), Jason Smith (knee), Jrue Holiday (leg) and Ryan Anderson (back).
“You have to and try to impose your will, (but) they have a lot of talented guys up there,” Jazz small forward Richard Jefferson said. “They were missing three All-Stars pretty much in Eric Gordon, (Davis) and (Smith) — four if you want to include Ryan Anderson in that — and we still couldn’t get it down.”
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 21