ST. GEORGE — A Utah judge has awarded an exiled member of Warren Jeffs' polygamous sect sole custody of children who were being raised by his wives who remain members of the religion.
Judge James Shumate granted Lorin Holm custody because it is more likely that Holm will allow his wives to visit the children, and less likely that the wives would have allowed Holm into their residence if they had custody, the Spectrum of St. George reported Thursday.
During the two-day trial, one of Holm's wives, Lynda Peine, testified that she still follows Jeffs and the "laws of God." During testimony from a woman who told the court about being sexually assaulted by Jeffs when she was 14, Peine put her fingers in her ears.
Jeffs is serving a life prison sentence in Texas for sexually assaulting underage girls he considered brides. Many say he continues to run the Fundamentalist LDS Church from prison.
Peine is one of Lorin Holm's two wives who remain members of the FLDS Church on the Utah-Arizona border. They don't want Holm to be allowed near the children because they consider him to be a bad influence since he was exiled from the sect.
Holm sued to get sole custody of the children in 2011 after he was kicked out of the sect earlier that year for being deemed unfaithful. He had three wives and more than a dozen children. Today, he lives with his first wife, who also left the FLDS Church.
Holm argues that his children could be sexually abused, forced into child labor or kicked out of the church while being raised by Lynda Peine and Patricia Peine.
Many of the estimated 7,500 people living in Colorado City, Ariz., and Hildale, Utah, are still followers of Jeffs, who followers believe is a prophet. Jeffs' FLDS Church believes polygamy brings exaltation in heaven.
Rodney Parker, Peine's attorney, said he didn't know if the custody case would be appealed.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Charges: Orem mom left 2 small kids alone...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 34
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 21
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15