ST. GEORGE — A Utah judge has awarded an exiled member of Warren Jeffs' polygamous sect sole custody of children who were being raised by his wives who remain members of the religion.
Judge James Shumate granted Lorin Holm custody because it is more likely that Holm will allow his wives to visit the children, and less likely that the wives would have allowed Holm into their residence if they had custody, the Spectrum of St. George reported Thursday.
During the two-day trial, one of Holm's wives, Lynda Peine, testified that she still follows Jeffs and the "laws of God." During testimony from a woman who told the court about being sexually assaulted by Jeffs when she was 14, Peine put her fingers in her ears.
Jeffs is serving a life prison sentence in Texas for sexually assaulting underage girls he considered brides. Many say he continues to run the Fundamentalist LDS Church from prison.
Peine is one of Lorin Holm's two wives who remain members of the FLDS Church on the Utah-Arizona border. They don't want Holm to be allowed near the children because they consider him to be a bad influence since he was exiled from the sect.
Holm sued to get sole custody of the children in 2011 after he was kicked out of the sect earlier that year for being deemed unfaithful. He had three wives and more than a dozen children. Today, he lives with his first wife, who also left the FLDS Church.
Holm argues that his children could be sexually abused, forced into child labor or kicked out of the church while being raised by Lynda Peine and Patricia Peine.
Many of the estimated 7,500 people living in Colorado City, Ariz., and Hildale, Utah, are still followers of Jeffs, who followers believe is a prophet. Jeffs' FLDS Church believes polygamy brings exaltation in heaven.
Rodney Parker, Peine's attorney, said he didn't know if the custody case would be appealed.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Police seek your help finding man, woman in...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Rally in support of police also draws... 33
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 20
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9