California man charged with abusing teen on flight to Salt Lake City
Charles Krupa, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — A California man was charged this week with propositioning and sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl on a plane during a flight to Utah.
Hans Loudermilk, 67, of Oceanside, Calif., was indicted Wednesday on two counts: sex abuse of a minor on an airplane and a separate charge of sex abuse on an airplane.
On Monday, Loudermilk took a Delta flight from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City and asked a 15-year-old if she would move to the middle seat. He then sat next to her, according to the charges filed in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.
Once the flight took off, their conversation "turned sexual in nature," the charges state. About 25 minutes before landing, Loudermilk told the girl he could "teach her things sexually that boys her age could not" and told her several times she should drive off with him because in Utah they could be legally married at her age, the indictment states.
During this discussion, "Loudermilk was moving in closer and started touching the chin of (the victim)," prosecutors wrote. The touching progressed to rubbing her leg and upper thigh, court documents state. Once the plane landed, the teen approached the first Transportation Security Administration officer she could find. During this time, investigators say Loudermilk ducked into a gift shop and took off the tan shirt he was wearing and replaced it with a black jacket.
Loudermilk was arrested and placed in the Salt Lake County Jail on a hold for U.S. marshals.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20