California man charged with abusing teen on flight to Salt Lake City
Charles Krupa, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — A California man was charged this week with propositioning and sexually abusing a 15-year-old girl on a plane during a flight to Utah.
Hans Loudermilk, 67, of Oceanside, Calif., was indicted Wednesday on two counts: sex abuse of a minor on an airplane and a separate charge of sex abuse on an airplane.
On Monday, Loudermilk took a Delta flight from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City and asked a 15-year-old if she would move to the middle seat. He then sat next to her, according to the charges filed in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.
Once the flight took off, their conversation "turned sexual in nature," the charges state. About 25 minutes before landing, Loudermilk told the girl he could "teach her things sexually that boys her age could not" and told her several times she should drive off with him because in Utah they could be legally married at her age, the indictment states.
During this discussion, "Loudermilk was moving in closer and started touching the chin of (the victim)," prosecutors wrote. The touching progressed to rubbing her leg and upper thigh, court documents state. Once the plane landed, the teen approached the first Transportation Security Administration officer she could find. During this time, investigators say Loudermilk ducked into a gift shop and took off the tan shirt he was wearing and replaced it with a black jacket.
Loudermilk was arrested and placed in the Salt Lake County Jail on a hold for U.S. marshals.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- School leaders look for solutions to... 24
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 17
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12