One woman killed, another injured in 14-vehicle pileup near Morgan
MORGAN — Police have identified the woman hit and killed by a semitrailer truck during a 14-vehicle pileup on I-84 Friday morning.
Brooklyn Preator, 21, of Henefer, Summit County, died after she was run over by a semitrailer.
Preator lost control of her Chevy Silverado around 8:15 a.m. while rounding a curve on an icy roadway, westbound on I-84 near the Taggart exit, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Todd Royce. She left her truck after it crashed into the median.
Many vehicles spun out and were on both shoulders, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. An approaching semitrailer lost control, crashed into three vehicles on both sides of the road and ran over Preator, killing her. The semitrailer then hit Preator's truck, which crashed into another semitrailer that was parked from an earlier crash.
Another woman was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.
The accident involved three semitrailers and 11 cars, Royce said. Investigators were still trying to determine Friday which vehicles were involved in the initial crash and which piled up afterward.
Lakhwinder Badesha said his truck almost became vehicle No. 15 just before 9 a.m.
"I tried to stop my truck. It was too slippery. I (couldn't) even control my speed. I pushed my brakes really hard, but my speed was the same," he said.
Badesha said he was certain he would hit the car in front of him, but he honked the horn on his truck just in case. The car in front responded and moved forward, giving him more room to stop.
"I saved my truck," he said. "Everyone ahead of me, they just hit each other."
Badesha exited his vehicle and walked back up the slippery road to warn other drivers to slow down.
Westbound I-84 was closed from about 8:20 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Contributing: Brianna Bodily
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: whitevs7
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 125
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19