High school boys basketball: Jim Wiscombe resigns as Morgan head coach
Ravell Call, Deseret News
MORGAN — Jim Wiscombe is stepping away on top.
After leading Morgan’s boys basketball team to back-to-back state championships, the 57-year-old Wiscombe announced this week he’s resigning as head coach. He’ll remain at Morgan High School as a counselor.
“It’s been fun, had a lot of great experience with great kids, and I’ll miss the experience,” said Wiscombe. “We’ll move on and try and do something else.”
Wiscombe has been Morgan’s head coach for 24 of the past 27 years — he took three years off from 1998 to 2001 to pursue a master’s degree — and before that he spent seven years at Delta High School.
“They’ve been great to work with, they’re great kids. They’re there to learn, they’re there to improve, it’s just a great teaching environment. I’ve learned more from the kids than I’ve ever taught them. You learn a lot from high school kids,” said Wiscombe.
Last season Wiscombe led Morgan to a 23-2 record and its first state championship since 1974. With numerous contributors back this year, the Trojans picked up right where they left off, winning 21 games and another 3A state championship.
Despite winning a second state championship this season, Wiscombe kind of decided last fall this would be his last year coaching basketball.
“Last fall when I made cuts, I swore that would be the last year I cut kids at Morgan. Dealing with that issue in a small community, it takes a toll on you; it’s time for somebody (else) to have that experience,” he said.
Lowell Murdock, Wiscombe’s top assistant for 22 years, announced a couple weeks ago that he’s also resigning.
“We’ve had a great relationship, and he’s been a great help, along with some other great coaches. I’ve had some really good assistant coaches, really loyal,” said Wiscombe.
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Syracuse sophomore chases Paralympic dreams,...
- High school baseball: Clutch fifth inning...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 42
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 35
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 21
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 17
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- NBA draft: Jazz should still find a... 11