Utah High School Activities Association committee will examine impact of socio-economics on high school sports
“If they have a hard time learning in school, they’ll have a hard time learning skills on the basketball court or football field,” he said. “There isn’t any difference. Coaches are teachers.” While some on the UHSAA board expressed a desire to better understand both Ogden’s proposal, which offered solutions like counting an out-of-boundary transfer student as two, rather than one student, and Rickard’s proposal, others said it was a complicated and delicate discussion to bring to the alignment process.
Some suggested they could be accused of discrimination or of being arbitrary. But Rickards said the numbers support the assertion, and the right thing to do is to find a way to factor socio-economics into the alignment process.
“The facts are the facts,” he said. “I tried to be as thorough as I possibly could. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t just assuming things.”
Region 9 representative Craig Seegmiller said he worried that the proposals made a difficult process even more complicated.
But Rickards said it only seems complicated because the proposals are offering support for a theory. Once he found win-loss records, he said the rankings were fairly easy to calculate.
“It seems complicated because I did a lot of research to support the proposal,” he said.
He was pleased that the board will reconvene the realignment committee to investigate the issues raised by Ogden and Kearns officials because it’s important that all students feel like they have the opportunity to succeed, not just play.
“It’s learned helplessness,” he said. “If they don’t get an opportunity to be successful, then the only thing they expect is to lose and to fail. They start to be OK with it. Then you have low-effort output.”
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 91
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 40
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 25