Utah High School Activities Association committee will examine impact of socio-economics on high school sports
“If they have a hard time learning in school, they’ll have a hard time learning skills on the basketball court or football field,” he said. “There isn’t any difference. Coaches are teachers.” While some on the UHSAA board expressed a desire to better understand both Ogden’s proposal, which offered solutions like counting an out-of-boundary transfer student as two, rather than one student, and Rickard’s proposal, others said it was a complicated and delicate discussion to bring to the alignment process.
Some suggested they could be accused of discrimination or of being arbitrary. But Rickards said the numbers support the assertion, and the right thing to do is to find a way to factor socio-economics into the alignment process.
“The facts are the facts,” he said. “I tried to be as thorough as I possibly could. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t just assuming things.”
Region 9 representative Craig Seegmiller said he worried that the proposals made a difficult process even more complicated.
But Rickards said it only seems complicated because the proposals are offering support for a theory. Once he found win-loss records, he said the rankings were fairly easy to calculate.
“It seems complicated because I did a lot of research to support the proposal,” he said.
He was pleased that the board will reconvene the realignment committee to investigate the issues raised by Ogden and Kearns officials because it’s important that all students feel like they have the opportunity to succeed, not just play.
“It’s learned helplessness,” he said. “If they don’t get an opportunity to be successful, then the only thing they expect is to lose and to fail. They start to be OK with it. Then you have low-effort output.”
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Having achieved its Final Four goal, the BYU...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 49
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 29