Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
DAY 5: Rainy weather moved Tuesday’s no-tackle practice indoors to the Spence Eccles Field House. Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said it was a good work day with a lot of polishing up of execution, along with assignment and alignment type things. The Utes were able to work on their two-minute drill for the first time this spring.
STANDOUTS: Whittingham said junior running back Devontae Booker continues to impress.
“It seems like he rips off a big run every day,” said Whittingham, who added that Booker hits the holes quick and has great vision.
Whittingham also noted that the offensive line played well in the run game.
Kicker Andy Phillips capped off a two-minute drill with a 52-yard field goal.
QUARTERBACK BATTLE: With one-third of the 15 spring practices in the books, junior Travis Wilson continues to get a majority of the reps at quarterback. Whittingham said he has progressed every day. There is still jockeying for position at the backup spots. Whittingham said redshirt freshman Conner Manning and junior Adam Schulz are battling for the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, while redshirt freshman Brandon Cox is probably No. 4.
“But we’re only five days in,” Whittingham said. “There’s a lot of reps yet to be taken.”
Redshirt freshman Micah Thomas is now playing wide receiver on a full-time basis — for the time being.
HALE INJURED: Senior linebacker Jacoby Hale injured his right knee in practice but was able to walk off the field on his own. Whittingham said he might have an update on Hale’s condition Friday.
NEXT UP: The Utes practice Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Whittingham said a big portion of the session will be live work.
“So we’ll get another good look at the guys and where we’re at,” Whittingham said.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8