2005 NFL draft do-over: Would Alex Smith still be first overall pick?
Gregory Bull, Associated Press
If the 2005 NFL draft could be redone, would Alex Smith still be the No. 1 overall pick?
No, says NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks in a recent breakdown of the 2005 draft.
Brooks said the 49ers, who selected the former Ute with the top pick in 2005, would likely have gone with Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, while Smith would’ve been the one waiting hours in the NFL draft green room waiting for his name to be heard.
The analyst said he believes Smith would’ve slipped to the No. 15 overall pick, which happens to be Smith’s current team, the Kansas City Chiefs.
“Smith’s steady hand and superb leadership skills would’ve helped the Chiefs continue their winning ways long before 2013,” Brooks wrote in his analysis of the 2005 draft.
Check out Brooks’ 2005 NFL draft first round do-over here.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8