Church leaders asked women, young women and girls across the Wasatch Front to apply for the choir; the church received 12,000 applications for the choir’s limited seats, according to a press release from church public affairs.
The volunteer choir includes 364 church members, ages 8 and older, who live within 100 miles of church headquarters and have experience singing in choirs. Participants also committed to attend all six rehearsals.
Sister Burton said the overwhelming number of applicants captures the “spirit of what we were hoping to accomplish with this meeting” and is indicative of the willingness of Latter-day Saint women to engage in the work of Jesus Christ.
“This is indicative of the women of the church,” she said. “They want to be involved. That extends to the work of salvation, as well as this one meeting.”
Sister Wixom said the church leaders are most grateful to all who offered their talents — including the many who were not able to participate in the choir.
Diane Bastian, music manager for the church, said during the selection process directors concentrated on families and tried to fill all the age groups. The outcome was that about 50 of the 364 participants are children ages 8 to 11. Another 70 choir members are ages 12 through 18. The adults in the choir represent the remaining decades, she said.
Selecting participants from the many thousands that applied was “a very difficult process,” she said. “We looked at choir credentials, especially, and looked at musical experience.”
The “choir by application” in the church is unique, she said.
Sister Oscarson said it will be “thrilling to see the group of women, young women and children standing together and uniting their voices.”
She is also excited about the fact mothers, grandmothers, daughters, sisters and aunts will be coming together to sing.
“Their voices will reflect their testimonies,” Sister Wixom said.
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- President Uchtdorf: 'Live the gospel joyful'
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3
- Watch: September 2014 General Women's... 2
- Jerry Earl Johnston: A celebrated... 2