UVU track: Wolverine track set to host UVU Collegiate on Friday
The Utah Valley University men's and women's track and field teams host their lone home track meet of the regular season on Friday at the Hal Wing Track and Field. The one-day UVU Collegiate Invitational will begin at 8:30 a.m.
The meet kicks off at 8:30 a.m. with the men's discus, the women's shot put and the men's javelin. The jumping events then get underway at 10 a.m. with the men's and women's long jump. The 3000-meter steeplechase is the first running event of the meet at 12:30 p.m. The final event of the day is the 4x400m relay that is slated to begin at 3:55 p.m. All events besides the men's and women's discus will be held at the Hal Wing Track and Field. The discus will take place on the intramural fields, located on campus behind the McKay Education Building.
Every school in the state of Utah besides Dixie State will be represented at the UVU Collegiate as student-athletes from BYU, Southern Utah, Utah, Utah State, Weber State, Westminster and the host Wolverines will take part along with Air Force, Colorado Mesa and Idaho State.
The Wolverines enter the meet off an outstanding showing at Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational, as well as the Oxy Distance Carnival in Southern California two weeks ago. Senior Brooke Hodson-Davies and junior Michael McPherson were named the WAC Track Athletes of the Week following the meets after Hodson-Davies won the 3000m steeplechase (10:27.98) at Occidental College on Friday and took third in the 1500m run (4:40.50) in Fullerton on Saturday, while McPherson placed third in the 100 (10.85), fourth in the 110m hurdles (14.91) and fifth in the long jump (6.98m) on Saturday.
Freshman Bennie Foster also had a big meet at the Ben Brown Invite as she set a new school record in the women's pole vault by taking second in the event by clearing 3.40m. Ryle Williams continued his strong freshman campaign by winning the high jump that weekend as well (2.05m).
The Hal Wing Track and Field will also play host to the UVU High School Invitational this weekend as the high school meet will be held Saturday. The meet will also feature live results and live video. To view a schedule of events and to find out more about Saturday's high school meet visit RunnerCard.
Following Friday's UVU Collegiate, the Wolverines will be off until April 11 when they'll head to Salt Lake City to compete at the Utah Spring Classic. UVU will then travel to Ogden the following day for the Weber State Invitational. Despite Friday's meet being the lone home event of the regular season, UVU will also host the 2014 WAC Outdoor Championships at the Hal Wing Track and Field on May 14-17.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 35
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20