The No. 16 Westminster College men’s lacrosse team returns to Dumke Field on Friday when it welcomes No. 14 Cal Poly to town. Westminster’s third-straight game against a ranked opponent begins at 3 p.m. MDT, and is the second to last home game of the season.
Friday’s game will be broadcast live on Griffins TV and on Comcast 6 in northern Utah. Lance Barton will handle the play-by-play with Tim Haslam serving as the analyst.
Westminster returns to Dumke Field at 6-3 on the season and has alternated wins and losses in its last five outings. The Griffins are 2-1 at home this year with an 18-2 win over Idaho in the last home game on March 16. They have posted a 1-2 mark against nationally ranked teams and 1-1 in overtime.
The Griffins are averaging 14 goals per game this season, and they have scored in double figures in six-straight contests. They are attempting 39.8 shots per game and putting 59.2 percent of those shots on cage. Westminster has scored on 59.4 percent of its shots that are on cage and assisted on 46.8 percent of the goals scored. The Griffins have gone 13-of-31 on man-up chances.
At the defensive end, Westminster opponents average 7.78 goals per outing while they attempt 34.4 shots. The opposition puts 56.5 percent of those shots on goal and scores on 40 percent of those chances. The Griffins are winning 52.8 percent of faceoffs with an 83.8 clearing percentage. They also have a 276-250 edge in ground balls.
Westminster moved back to No. 16 in this week’s MCLA Coaches’ Poll that was released on Tuesday. The Griffins climbed two positions from last week’s poll to return to the 16th position for the third time this season and have now improved in the poll four times in five polls.
Cal Poly visits Dumke Field on Friday
The No. 16 Westminster College mens lacrosse team returns to Dumke Field on Friday when it welcomes No. 14 Cal Poly to town.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 60
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 42
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30