Christopher Watkins, Deseret News archives
PRICE — Bird-watching enthusiasts can hear the "bloop, bloop" and see the strut of male sage grouse during a free wildlife-viewing event in east-central Utah.
The event, sponsored by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, will happen April 5 at Emma Park, about 13 miles north of Price.
Spectators will need to be at the viewing site early. Viewing is best before the sun comes up and just after the sun has risen. Grouse leave their strutting ground within an hour after sunrise.
DWR biologists will be at the viewing site with spotting scopes and binoculars.
The DWR reminds viewers that several things can force the grouse to leave the viewing site early or to not visit at all. For example, eagles or coyotes near the site can scare the grouse away. Wind, rain or snow can also keep the grouse under cover and out of sight.
From the Wasatch Front, travel east on U.S. 6 from Spanish Fork. At the top of Price Canyon, look for the Emma Park sign and turn left onto Emma Park Road. Travel east until there are vehicles with the state of Utah seal on their doors.
To get to Emma Park from Price, travel north on U.S. 6 to the Castle Gate power plant. Turn right onto U.S. 191, and travel northeast about 6 miles to a fork in the road. Turn left onto Emma Park Road.
For more information about the April 5 event, call 435-613-3707 or 435-636-6731.
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22