Christopher Watkins, Deseret News archives
PRICE — Bird-watching enthusiasts can hear the "bloop, bloop" and see the strut of male sage grouse during a free wildlife-viewing event in east-central Utah.
The event, sponsored by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, will happen April 5 at Emma Park, about 13 miles north of Price.
Spectators will need to be at the viewing site early. Viewing is best before the sun comes up and just after the sun has risen. Grouse leave their strutting ground within an hour after sunrise.
DWR biologists will be at the viewing site with spotting scopes and binoculars.
The DWR reminds viewers that several things can force the grouse to leave the viewing site early or to not visit at all. For example, eagles or coyotes near the site can scare the grouse away. Wind, rain or snow can also keep the grouse under cover and out of sight.
From the Wasatch Front, travel east on U.S. 6 from Spanish Fork. At the top of Price Canyon, look for the Emma Park sign and turn left onto Emma Park Road. Travel east until there are vehicles with the state of Utah seal on their doors.
To get to Emma Park from Price, travel north on U.S. 6 to the Castle Gate power plant. Turn right onto U.S. 191, and travel northeast about 6 miles to a fork in the road. Turn left onto Emma Park Road.
For more information about the April 5 event, call 435-613-3707 or 435-636-6731.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Thousands of Primary Care Network slots in...
- Salt Lake City Council allocates $65,000 to...
- Logan woman gets 2 to 30 years in prison for...
- Man suffers spinal fractures in violent...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Salt Lake City Council allocates... 8
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8