Christopher Watkins, Deseret News archives
PRICE — Bird-watching enthusiasts can hear the "bloop, bloop" and see the strut of male sage grouse during a free wildlife-viewing event in east-central Utah.
The event, sponsored by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, will happen April 5 at Emma Park, about 13 miles north of Price.
Spectators will need to be at the viewing site early. Viewing is best before the sun comes up and just after the sun has risen. Grouse leave their strutting ground within an hour after sunrise.
DWR biologists will be at the viewing site with spotting scopes and binoculars.
The DWR reminds viewers that several things can force the grouse to leave the viewing site early or to not visit at all. For example, eagles or coyotes near the site can scare the grouse away. Wind, rain or snow can also keep the grouse under cover and out of sight.
From the Wasatch Front, travel east on U.S. 6 from Spanish Fork. At the top of Price Canyon, look for the Emma Park sign and turn left onto Emma Park Road. Travel east until there are vehicles with the state of Utah seal on their doors.
To get to Emma Park from Price, travel north on U.S. 6 to the Castle Gate power plant. Turn right onto U.S. 191, and travel northeast about 6 miles to a fork in the road. Turn left onto Emma Park Road.
For more information about the April 5 event, call 435-613-3707 or 435-636-6731.
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- See all the photos from the big Pioneer Day...
- Salt Lake man shoots 8-year-old boy, then...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 84
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17