J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
CEDAR CITY — Former first lady of Massachusetts Ann Romney will give the keynote address during Southern Utah University's upcoming commencement ceremony, university officials have announced.
In addition to her remarks, Romney will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree in public service for her contributions and advocacy on behalf of children, families and motherhood.
In a prepared statement, SUU President Scott Wyatt said he looks forward to recognizing Romney for her social impact.
"We want our students to go out and make an impact, yes, but we want them to do it with passion," Wyatt said. "Mrs. Romney is an able example of all that can be accomplished when individuals successfully partner personal interests with a professional and civic affiliation.”
In Massachusetts, Romney served as a liaison to the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives and was involved with several children's charities. Romney also was an active figure in the two presidential campaigns of her husband, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
In a prepared statement, Ann Romney said she is honored to stand with the SUU class of 2014.
"I'm looking forward to joining the graduating class as they step out into the world, guided by the principles of community and social responsibility that the university has instilled in them," Romney said.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- State School Board explores budget cuts as...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 150
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- Romney decision not to run again... 38
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21