J. Scott Applewhite, Associated Press
CEDAR CITY — Former first lady of Massachusetts Ann Romney will give the keynote address during Southern Utah University's upcoming commencement ceremony, university officials have announced.
In addition to her remarks, Romney will be awarded an honorary doctorate degree in public service for her contributions and advocacy on behalf of children, families and motherhood.
In a prepared statement, SUU President Scott Wyatt said he looks forward to recognizing Romney for her social impact.
"We want our students to go out and make an impact, yes, but we want them to do it with passion," Wyatt said. "Mrs. Romney is an able example of all that can be accomplished when individuals successfully partner personal interests with a professional and civic affiliation.”
In Massachusetts, Romney served as a liaison to the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives and was involved with several children's charities. Romney also was an active figure in the two presidential campaigns of her husband, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
In a prepared statement, Ann Romney said she is honored to stand with the SUU class of 2014.
"I'm looking forward to joining the graduating class as they step out into the world, guided by the principles of community and social responsibility that the university has instilled in them," Romney said.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23