Bountiful man speaks out after dismissal of child sex abuse charges
It was only at the beginning that Green's wife questioned whether the charges against her husband were legitimate, Green said. When they identified who the accusation came from and began the long process of painful pretrial hearings, her concern shifted.
"Since just before Christmas, when I originally thought we were going to get the dismissal and it didn't happen, from then on it was not so much, 'Did you do this?' but, 'Are they going to put you away regardless?'" Green said.
Prosecutors seemed determined to push the case forward "come hell or high water," Green said, even as Law presented the findings of their investigation.
"It's insane it got as far as it did," Green said.
Now that the case is closed, Green said he feels frustrated over what he calls a year of wasted resources. He said he hopes the experience will prompt more careful investigation of accusations concerning child sexual abuse.
"There are real predators out there doing real harm to real kids," Green said. "I don't want my story to turn into, 'We shouldn't be pursuing those people.' I don't want that to be the takeaway at all."
Family members, including Green's three children, are trying to heal as well, Green said. His oldest daughter has sought counseling, while one younger child refuses to talk about the case, and another finds comfort in long family talks.
Green apologized for sounding bitter as he related his story Wednesday, but expressed the mistrust he has developed for law enforcement and the legal system, and his reluctance to associate with children or teenagers in the future.
"I will never, if I dare say 'never,' coach again," Green said. "I will never tutor again. I will never help a child again."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Love says commenting on Saratoga Springs...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 49
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 29
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18