Bountiful man speaks out after dismissal of child sex abuse charges
It was only at the beginning that Green's wife questioned whether the charges against her husband were legitimate, Green said. When they identified who the accusation came from and began the long process of painful pretrial hearings, her concern shifted.
"Since just before Christmas, when I originally thought we were going to get the dismissal and it didn't happen, from then on it was not so much, 'Did you do this?' but, 'Are they going to put you away regardless?'" Green said.
Prosecutors seemed determined to push the case forward "come hell or high water," Green said, even as Law presented the findings of their investigation.
"It's insane it got as far as it did," Green said.
Now that the case is closed, Green said he feels frustrated over what he calls a year of wasted resources. He said he hopes the experience will prompt more careful investigation of accusations concerning child sexual abuse.
"There are real predators out there doing real harm to real kids," Green said. "I don't want my story to turn into, 'We shouldn't be pursuing those people.' I don't want that to be the takeaway at all."
Family members, including Green's three children, are trying to heal as well, Green said. His oldest daughter has sought counseling, while one younger child refuses to talk about the case, and another finds comfort in long family talks.
Green apologized for sounding bitter as he related his story Wednesday, but expressed the mistrust he has developed for law enforcement and the legal system, and his reluctance to associate with children or teenagers in the future.
"I will never, if I dare say 'never,' coach again," Green said. "I will never tutor again. I will never help a child again."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20