High school boys basketball: Deseret News MVPs were versatile stars
“In the 12 years I’ve been here at Panguitch, Tyce has been the most fundamental kid I’ve ever coached,” said Panguitch coach Clint Barney, Tyce’s father. “He shoots the ball right, he rebounds, he passes, he defends, and for a kid who’s not super athletic, I think he’s really got the most out of what he could give to a team.
“He’s been the poster boy of Panguitch basketball for four years, and that’s going to be hard to replace.”
Barney had hoped to become just the seventh player in state history to reach the 2,000-point plateau, and he probably would’ve had Panguitch prioritized that individual goal at the state tournament.
“You get into the state tournament and you play in games against good teams, against good coaches who prepare. We maybe could’ve played a different style and tried to get his points, but we were in to win as a team,” said Barney. “Two thousand is a great number, but just being among those in the record books in the top 10, a kid from Panguitch to be able to accomplish that, I think down the line he’ll be pretty satisfied.”
At a bigger school, Barney would’ve likely played as a shooting guard or small forward, but in 1A he played in the paint, which makes his productivity that much more impressive.
“He’s had to go in there and bang every night and do all the dirty work for us,” said Barney.
Photo credits: Scott G Winterton, Matt Gade, Tom Smart, Deseret News; Tyce Barney photo courtesy Panguitch
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 97
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 63
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 20
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 15
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8