TJ Haws caps off his unprecedented prep career being named 2014's Mr. Basketball
“It’s never been about individual honors,” he said. “It’s much more celebrating with your team about something you did together. It’s why we play. It’s why I play. Basketball is about the team and winning it together and we’ve all had that attitude. It’s a big reason why we’ve been so successful here.”
As for his own success, TJ is quick to credit Lewis for a lot of it.
“I don’t think there’s a coach who puts in more time preparing than coach Lewis,” he said. “His practices are very hard, and he’s very demanding of us, but I wouldn’t have wanted to play for anyone else.”
It also helped tremendously having big brother pave the way.
"Growing up I saw how hard Tyler worked and then the success he had by putting in the work," TJ said. "I knew by watching him that it was possible to start right away for Lone Peak and everything else. I don't know if I'd be the player I am today without Tyler showing me how it's done."
The next step for TJ is a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to France, which he'll leave for in April. Upon his return he'll again attempt to follow in Tyler's footsteps playing for BYU.
Considering how he followed up Tyler at Lone Peak, he should thrive playing for the Cougars.
"Their games are completely different, but their mental approach isn't and that's what sets them apart as much as anything," Lewis said. "You put those guys in any environment and they just don’t get rattled. They’re big in the clutch and it’s definitely how they’re most similar. I fully expect TJ to do similar things for BYU that Tyler is doing now."
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give Juan...
- High school baseball: Titans ride timely...
- High school soccer: No shortage of parity as...
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins game...
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give... 0
- High school baseball: Titans ride... 0
- High school soccer: No shortage of... 0