TJ Haws caps off his unprecedented prep career being named 2014's Mr. Basketball
“It’s never been about individual honors,” he said. “It’s much more celebrating with your team about something you did together. It’s why we play. It’s why I play. Basketball is about the team and winning it together and we’ve all had that attitude. It’s a big reason why we’ve been so successful here.”
As for his own success, TJ is quick to credit Lewis for a lot of it.
“I don’t think there’s a coach who puts in more time preparing than coach Lewis,” he said. “His practices are very hard, and he’s very demanding of us, but I wouldn’t have wanted to play for anyone else.”
It also helped tremendously having big brother pave the way.
"Growing up I saw how hard Tyler worked and then the success he had by putting in the work," TJ said. "I knew by watching him that it was possible to start right away for Lone Peak and everything else. I don't know if I'd be the player I am today without Tyler showing me how it's done."
The next step for TJ is a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to France, which he'll leave for in April. Upon his return he'll again attempt to follow in Tyler's footsteps playing for BYU.
Considering how he followed up Tyler at Lone Peak, he should thrive playing for the Cougars.
"Their games are completely different, but their mental approach isn't and that's what sets them apart as much as anything," Lewis said. "You put those guys in any environment and they just don’t get rattled. They’re big in the clutch and it’s definitely how they’re most similar. I fully expect TJ to do similar things for BYU that Tyler is doing now."
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault, riot...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as too...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- BYU's Mendenhall, Nebraska's Riley have long...
- BYU football notebook: Experience should be...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 74
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 58
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 32
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 29
- Morning links: Will Michigan beat Utah?... 26
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 25