BYU football: Tempers flare again at Cougars' spring camp
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU's spring practice was yet again a heated affair, with several players engaging in scuffles following whistles during team drills Tuesday.
"I think it's good," said quarterback Taysom Hill of the skirmishes. "Guys are competitive, and look, we've been going at each other for 10 practices now and that's expected. So you start not to like the guy you're going against because you go against him all the time. ... I'm glad that guys are sticking up for each other and they're battling. They're not just folding and laying down."
Two new faces battling for Hill and the offense Tuesday were offensive linemen Ryker Mathews and Brayden Kearsley. Both have been working through academic issues, but are currently back in good standing.
According to coach Bronco Mendenhall, their academic status is day to day.
“As of today and for today," he said regarding Kearsley's specific practice clearance. "Tomorrow could be a different story, so why don’t we just plan on answering that each day until the end of the spring?"
PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS: JC transfer Nick Kurtz had some nice receptions Tuesday as he continues to acclimate himself to BYU's offense. One reception saw him juke cornerback Trent Trammell in the flat for some extra yardage.
On another occasion, Kurtz had a deep pass glance off his finger-tips and into the waiting arms of Terenn Houk for a 45-yard gain.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 21
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14