BYU football: Tempers flare again at Cougars' spring camp
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU's spring practice was yet again a heated affair, with several players engaging in scuffles following whistles during team drills Tuesday.
"I think it's good," said quarterback Taysom Hill of the skirmishes. "Guys are competitive, and look, we've been going at each other for 10 practices now and that's expected. So you start not to like the guy you're going against because you go against him all the time. ... I'm glad that guys are sticking up for each other and they're battling. They're not just folding and laying down."
Two new faces battling for Hill and the offense Tuesday were offensive linemen Ryker Mathews and Brayden Kearsley. Both have been working through academic issues, but are currently back in good standing.
According to coach Bronco Mendenhall, their academic status is day to day.
“As of today and for today," he said regarding Kearsley's specific practice clearance. "Tomorrow could be a different story, so why don’t we just plan on answering that each day until the end of the spring?"
PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS: JC transfer Nick Kurtz had some nice receptions Tuesday as he continues to acclimate himself to BYU's offense. One reception saw him juke cornerback Trent Trammell in the flat for some extra yardage.
On another occasion, Kurtz had a deep pass glance off his finger-tips and into the waiting arms of Terenn Houk for a 45-yard gain.
- Phil Mickelson to forfeit nearly $1 million...
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 43
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 33
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 22
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 22
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Video: 100 days until college football... 15
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 9