BYU football: Despite misdemeanor charge, Cougar running back Jamaal Williams in good standing
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU running back Jamaal Williams is in good standing in the Cougars' program, according to coach Bronco Mendenhall, who addressed the media following Tuesday's practice.
Reports surfaced over the weekend that Williams had been charged with possession of alcohol by a minor — a misdemeanor — but the star running back participated fully in practice Tuesday, just as he's done throughout spring camp.
Mendenhall said he learned of the issue long before it was known publicly and has already addressed it with Williams.
“Don’t know when, don’t know how (I heard it), but it’s been addressed so long ago between he and I that I really don’t intend to address it again,” Mendenhall said. “He’s in great standing in our program — was and is now and will be going forward.”
When pressed for more specifics, Mendenhall simply restated that it had been addressed.
BYE, BYE BUSBY: Mendenhall had high praise for BYU staffer Duane Busby, who is retiring as the Cougars' director of football operations after serving in the capacity for 18 years.
“You don’t replace him,” Mendenhall said when asked who will now fill Busby's spot. “(He’s) a personal friend, trusted advisor, (and) essential to our success over the last nine years. And to me personally, and Holly, he’s not replaceable. Duane is understated, so he asked me specifically not to make a big deal about it, so that’s as big a deal as I can make. But I’ll miss him.”
SATURDAY SCRIMMAGE: The football team will hold an open scrimmage for fans this Saturday at LaVell Edwards Stadium. A 40-minute kid's clinic will begin at 10 a.m. before the team starts scrimmaging at 11.
Mendenhall addressed what fans can expect from Saturday's function.
“There will be some scrimmaging,” Mendenhall said. “Most of our up-and-coming players will be the ones that will be tackling, but we plan on basically a format you see out there now with all of our team. So there will be some tackling, some thud and maybe some practice. I reserve the right through Thursday, based on injuries, etc., to even tweak it a little bit there.”
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 53
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35