BYU women's basketball: Cougars will meet top seed UConn in Sweet 16 Saturday
Jessica Hill, AP
No. 1 seed UConn is the opponent the 12th-seeded Cougars will face Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MDT in the Sweet 16 at the Lincoln, Neb., regional of the NCAA tournament.
As expected, the Huskies dominated No. 9 seed St. Joseph’s Tuesday night, 91-52, at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn., to improve their record to a perfect 36-0 and earn a meeting with the Cougars at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln.
UConn is the defending national champion and has won 42 consecutive games. The Huskies are seeking their ninth all-time NCAA championship.
UConn boasts three potential All-America players — senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart.
Against St. Joseph's, UConn enjoyed its usual balanced scoring. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis recorded a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. Stewart had 21 points and 11 rebounds, while Hartley and Dolson chipped in 20 and 17, respectively.
As a team, the Huskies shot 57 percent from the floor and limited the Hawks to 35 percent.
UConn cruised past Prairie View A&M in its first-round game Sunday, 87-44.
The Cougars reached the Sweet 16 Monday night after a dramatic 80-76 upset of No. 4 seed Nebraska in Los Angeles. Two days earlier, BYU knocked off No. 5 seed North Carolina State.
The Cougars (28-6) are only the third No. 12 seed to reach the Sweet 16 in the history of the women’s NCAA tournament.
BYU is 0-2 all time against UConn. In 2007, the Cougars were pounded in Storrs, 80-34. The Huskies visited Provo in 2008 and won, 96-47.
BYU is not the only underdog in the Lincoln regional. No. 7 DePaul stunned No. 2 Duke, 74-65, Monday. DePaul will play in the other regional semifinal Saturday.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32