BYU women's basketball: Cougars will meet top seed UConn in Sweet 16 Saturday
Jessica Hill, AP
No. 1 seed UConn is the opponent the 12th-seeded Cougars will face Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MDT in the Sweet 16 at the Lincoln, Neb., regional of the NCAA tournament.
As expected, the Huskies dominated No. 9 seed St. Joseph’s Tuesday night, 91-52, at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn., to improve their record to a perfect 36-0 and earn a meeting with the Cougars at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln.
UConn is the defending national champion and has won 42 consecutive games. The Huskies are seeking their ninth all-time NCAA championship.
UConn boasts three potential All-America players — senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart.
Against St. Joseph's, UConn enjoyed its usual balanced scoring. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis recorded a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. Stewart had 21 points and 11 rebounds, while Hartley and Dolson chipped in 20 and 17, respectively.
As a team, the Huskies shot 57 percent from the floor and limited the Hawks to 35 percent.
UConn cruised past Prairie View A&M in its first-round game Sunday, 87-44.
The Cougars reached the Sweet 16 Monday night after a dramatic 80-76 upset of No. 4 seed Nebraska in Los Angeles. Two days earlier, BYU knocked off No. 5 seed North Carolina State.
The Cougars (28-6) are only the third No. 12 seed to reach the Sweet 16 in the history of the women’s NCAA tournament.
BYU is 0-2 all time against UConn. In 2007, the Cougars were pounded in Storrs, 80-34. The Huskies visited Provo in 2008 and won, 96-47.
BYU is not the only underdog in the Lincoln regional. No. 7 DePaul stunned No. 2 Duke, 74-65, Monday. DePaul will play in the other regional semifinal Saturday.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- Former Duke and Utah player Chris Burgess...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 101
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Jazz lose to undermanned, tired... 16