BYU women's basketball: Cougars will meet top seed UConn in Sweet 16 Saturday
Jessica Hill, AP
No. 1 seed UConn is the opponent the 12th-seeded Cougars will face Saturday at 2:30 p.m. MDT in the Sweet 16 at the Lincoln, Neb., regional of the NCAA tournament.
As expected, the Huskies dominated No. 9 seed St. Joseph’s Tuesday night, 91-52, at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn., to improve their record to a perfect 36-0 and earn a meeting with the Cougars at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln.
UConn is the defending national champion and has won 42 consecutive games. The Huskies are seeking their ninth all-time NCAA championship.
UConn boasts three potential All-America players — senior center Stefanie Dolson, senior guard Bria Hartley and sophomore forward Breanna Stewart.
Against St. Joseph's, UConn enjoyed its usual balanced scoring. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis recorded a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. Stewart had 21 points and 11 rebounds, while Hartley and Dolson chipped in 20 and 17, respectively.
As a team, the Huskies shot 57 percent from the floor and limited the Hawks to 35 percent.
UConn cruised past Prairie View A&M in its first-round game Sunday, 87-44.
The Cougars reached the Sweet 16 Monday night after a dramatic 80-76 upset of No. 4 seed Nebraska in Los Angeles. Two days earlier, BYU knocked off No. 5 seed North Carolina State.
The Cougars (28-6) are only the third No. 12 seed to reach the Sweet 16 in the history of the women’s NCAA tournament.
BYU is 0-2 all time against UConn. In 2007, the Cougars were pounded in Storrs, 80-34. The Huskies visited Provo in 2008 and won, 96-47.
BYU is not the only underdog in the Lincoln regional. No. 7 DePaul stunned No. 2 Duke, 74-65, Monday. DePaul will play in the other regional semifinal Saturday.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 19