Finding the right balance between morals and health care
Danny Johnston, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Former Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) recently released a column for USA Today in which he described why he mostly approves of the Affordable Care Act, except for the contraception mandate.
He wrote that Congress needs to find a balance between supporting a moral decision, while also providing quality health care for Americans.
"The Affordable Care Act struck an important balance between improving health care options and respecting conscience, a moral conscience that no one can violate,” he wrote. “I urge the Supreme Court to recognize and uphold this balance.”
Contraception is at the center of the Hobby Lobby case, which should paint the future of the ACA and religious freedom in the United States, reported Mark Kellner in his article "What Hobby Lobby's case could have in store for religious freedom and ACA" for Deseret News National.
It's possible there will be "dramatic consequences for the reach of this, because there are a number of places where there are small businesses that could claim their religion requires them not to do certain things that regulatory claims would otherwise demand or vice-versa," said Robert W. Tuttle, a George Washington University Law School professor, to Deseret News National.
In his column, Stupak said he hopes congress and the Supreme Court can find the right balance for everyone.
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- Larry King interviews Lindsey Stirling about...
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- LDS Church leaders speak at RootsTech Family...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 38
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 13
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- Hamblin & Peterson: Buddhism and violence 7
- Women hired by LDS Church History... 5
- Wheaton provost apologizes to Larycia... 5