Finding the right balance between morals and health care
Danny Johnston, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Former Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) recently released a column for USA Today in which he described why he mostly approves of the Affordable Care Act, except for the contraception mandate.
He wrote that Congress needs to find a balance between supporting a moral decision, while also providing quality health care for Americans.
"The Affordable Care Act struck an important balance between improving health care options and respecting conscience, a moral conscience that no one can violate,” he wrote. “I urge the Supreme Court to recognize and uphold this balance.”
Contraception is at the center of the Hobby Lobby case, which should paint the future of the ACA and religious freedom in the United States, reported Mark Kellner in his article "What Hobby Lobby's case could have in store for religious freedom and ACA" for Deseret News National.
It's possible there will be "dramatic consequences for the reach of this, because there are a number of places where there are small businesses that could claim their religion requires them not to do certain things that regulatory claims would otherwise demand or vice-versa," said Robert W. Tuttle, a George Washington University Law School professor, to Deseret News National.
In his column, Stupak said he hopes congress and the Supreme Court can find the right balance for everyone.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Christmas without Jesus
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 48
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 42
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 18
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 11
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10