On Saturday, March 22nd, in Beijing China, Michelle Obama stated that "when it comes to expressing yourself freely, and worshipping as you choose, and having open access to information — we believe those are universal rights that are the birthright of every person on this planet." President Obama stated at the last National Prayer Breakfast, "We believe in the inherent dignity of every human being — dignity that no earthly power can take away. And central to that dignity is freedom of religion — the right of every person to practice their faith how they choose and to do this free from persecution and fear."
These ideals are centered in the Constitution. Sadly, they have lost meaning in our government today. Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood have to go to court to defend their religious right to avoid dispensing particular kinds of contraceptives. Federal judges have overturned states’ rights in deciding what marriage is.
The Constitution states that there is a separation of church and state; it bars government from favoring one religion over another. But it appears that the government is forcing its own brand of religion: secularism. If religion and those that support religion do not comply with secularism they are labeled as narrow minded, bigots, and discriminators. The truth is that those who espouse secularism are often the ones that are narrow-minded and are discriminating.
We are living in a day that individual rights, religious rights are not tolerated. I hope that the nation can be united under the Constitution and that all of us can live without fear for what we believe in.
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 39
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 28
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- In our opinion: Planned Parenthood... 22