On Saturday, March 22nd, in Beijing China, Michelle Obama stated that "when it comes to expressing yourself freely, and worshipping as you choose, and having open access to information — we believe those are universal rights that are the birthright of every person on this planet." President Obama stated at the last National Prayer Breakfast, "We believe in the inherent dignity of every human being — dignity that no earthly power can take away. And central to that dignity is freedom of religion — the right of every person to practice their faith how they choose and to do this free from persecution and fear."
These ideals are centered in the Constitution. Sadly, they have lost meaning in our government today. Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood have to go to court to defend their religious right to avoid dispensing particular kinds of contraceptives. Federal judges have overturned states’ rights in deciding what marriage is.
The Constitution states that there is a separation of church and state; it bars government from favoring one religion over another. But it appears that the government is forcing its own brand of religion: secularism. If religion and those that support religion do not comply with secularism they are labeled as narrow minded, bigots, and discriminators. The truth is that those who espouse secularism are often the ones that are narrow-minded and are discriminating.
We are living in a day that individual rights, religious rights are not tolerated. I hope that the nation can be united under the Constitution and that all of us can live without fear for what we believe in.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: More Lehi gridlock?
- Letter: Draper real estate
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 78
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 67
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 37
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 37
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 29
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 19