On Saturday, March 22nd, in Beijing China, Michelle Obama stated that "when it comes to expressing yourself freely, and worshipping as you choose, and having open access to information — we believe those are universal rights that are the birthright of every person on this planet." President Obama stated at the last National Prayer Breakfast, "We believe in the inherent dignity of every human being — dignity that no earthly power can take away. And central to that dignity is freedom of religion — the right of every person to practice their faith how they choose and to do this free from persecution and fear."
These ideals are centered in the Constitution. Sadly, they have lost meaning in our government today. Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood have to go to court to defend their religious right to avoid dispensing particular kinds of contraceptives. Federal judges have overturned states’ rights in deciding what marriage is.
The Constitution states that there is a separation of church and state; it bars government from favoring one religion over another. But it appears that the government is forcing its own brand of religion: secularism. If religion and those that support religion do not comply with secularism they are labeled as narrow minded, bigots, and discriminators. The truth is that those who espouse secularism are often the ones that are narrow-minded and are discriminating.
We are living in a day that individual rights, religious rights are not tolerated. I hope that the nation can be united under the Constitution and that all of us can live without fear for what we believe in.
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- On second thought
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 48
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common... 31
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 28
- Americans are changing their tune on... 27