Top football players at BYU over the last decade who weren't highly recruited
August Miller, August Miller/ Deseret Morning N
National Letter of Intent signing day is squarely in the rearview mirror, and the hype over the Cougars' potentially great recruiting class has died down to some extent. The focus for BYU has shifted from recruiting to spring practice and the opportunity to prepare for the 2014 season.
Just like the focus of Cougars have shifted to what happens on the field, it is a perfect time to look at how past recruits actually translated on the field.
BYU has had very key four-star recruits in the past decade. Some have had a significant impact on the field (Kyle Van Noy and Bronson Kaufusi) while others never panned out the way fans expected.
Getting high-level recruits is an important part of college football, but it is what a program does with the not-so-big-name-recruits that is a major part of a school's success on the gridiron.
BYU has had plenty of greats rise from low-ranking players coming out of high school and junior college. Here is a look at the most impactful players from that category over the last decade.
Note: each star ranking comes from Rivals.com.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 136
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 62
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33