Top football players at BYU over the last decade who weren't highly recruited
August Miller, August Miller/ Deseret Morning N
National Letter of Intent signing day is squarely in the rearview mirror, and the hype over the Cougars' potentially great recruiting class has died down to some extent. The focus for BYU has shifted from recruiting to spring practice and the opportunity to prepare for the 2014 season.
Just like the focus of Cougars have shifted to what happens on the field, it is a perfect time to look at how past recruits actually translated on the field.
BYU has had very key four-star recruits in the past decade. Some have had a significant impact on the field (Kyle Van Noy and Bronson Kaufusi) while others never panned out the way fans expected.
Getting high-level recruits is an important part of college football, but it is what a program does with the not-so-big-name-recruits that is a major part of a school's success on the gridiron.
BYU has had plenty of greats rise from low-ranking players coming out of high school and junior college. Here is a look at the most impactful players from that category over the last decade.
Note: each star ranking comes from Rivals.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39