Top football players at BYU over the last decade who weren't highly recruited
August Miller, August Miller/ Deseret Morning N
National Letter of Intent signing day is squarely in the rearview mirror, and the hype over the Cougars' potentially great recruiting class has died down to some extent. The focus for BYU has shifted from recruiting to spring practice and the opportunity to prepare for the 2014 season.
Just like the focus of Cougars have shifted to what happens on the field, it is a perfect time to look at how past recruits actually translated on the field.
BYU has had very key four-star recruits in the past decade. Some have had a significant impact on the field (Kyle Van Noy and Bronson Kaufusi) while others never panned out the way fans expected.
Getting high-level recruits is an important part of college football, but it is what a program does with the not-so-big-name-recruits that is a major part of a school's success on the gridiron.
BYU has had plenty of greats rise from low-ranking players coming out of high school and junior college. Here is a look at the most impactful players from that category over the last decade.
Note: each star ranking comes from Rivals.com.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25