Trailer behind semi kills West Valley woman, critically injures Logan man
SALT LAKE CITY — A West Valley woman was killed and a Logan man seriously injured after they were hit by a semitrailer on I-15 Sunday night.
The driver of a Toyota Corolla heading north pulled over to the right side of the road to fix a flat tire about 11:50 p.m. just south of Davis County.
Monte Keiaho, 25, and Mailefihi Tuaone, 27, got out of the car to fix the tire and appeared to be completely in the emergency lane, according to a statement by Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Jacob Cox.
At the same time, a semi was heading north in the right hand lane. A car in the next lane over prevented the driver of the semitrailer from moving out of the lane. A single trailer connected to the semitruck swung over and hit both the man and woman as it passed, according to police.
Tuaone died at the scene. Keiaho was critically injured and taken to Intermountain Medical Center. He was still in critical condition Monday but was expected to survive, Cox said.
Investigators are trying to determine whether the trailer strayed onto the shoulder or if Keiaho and Tuaone had moved onto the freeway, police said.
Police will not know if the driver of the semi, Las Vegas resident James Wiegand of Peace-Arch Trucking, will face charges until the investigation concludes. Currently there are no charges pending against the driver and he is cooperating with the investigation.
Utah Highway Patrol reminded those who have flat tires to move over as far away from the road as possible or to try and exit the freeway.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 205
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 163
- Romney decision not to run again... 47
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Rep. Chris Stewart says he's working on... 18