Utah Jazz: It's March, and Trey Burke is shining again
Burke said he’ll bounce around between working out with the personal trainer in Columbus, Ohio, who’s helped him since high school. He also plans on training with the pros at the P3 performance lab in Santa Barbara, Calif., where the Jazz send their players each offseason. He’ll likely drop back in Utah for some work, too.
Burke’s offseason goal is simple: “Just get more explosive, get stronger, lower body specifically.”
Burke has been working with player development coach Johnnie Bryant on attacking in the paint and finishing at the rim. On Sunday before practice, the pair worked on a move that had Burke burst to the paint then spin around a defender to create an open layup.
This summer, Burke also plans on trying to maintain his upper-body strength and “staying consistent with my shot, getting a lot of reps up.”
Corbin said Burke will have a better idea of what he has to do to be NBA-ready next fall now that he’s gone through the bulk of a season. That can be an eye-opening experience because players think they’re in shape — and they are for a college season — but they don’t realize how demanding an 82-game schedule is.
“After this year,” Corbin said, “he’ll have a better understanding of what we’re talking about.”
From leadership (something he's been working on with former NBA point guard/Jazz assistant Sidney Lowe) to pick-and-roll duties on both ends to dealing with the pace of play, Corbin has liked the progression that he’s seen so far from a 21-year-old player he “absolutely” believes deserves Rookie of the Year consideration.
“He’s learned a lot this year. There’s a lot of pressure on him,” Corbin said. “I think he’s responding very well on both ends of the floor.”
Of course, you'll know Burke's really made it in the NBA when coaches say that about him in April, May and June, not just in January, February and March.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 61
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Utah Utes football: The California... 28
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 25
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22