WEST VALLEY CITY — A 20-year-old man was hospitalized in critical condition Sunday after he was shot in the head during a fight at an apartment complex.
Patrick Van Pham, 18, and the victim were involved in an altercation when Pham pulled out a gun about 6:10 a.m. and shot the 20-year-old in the head, said West Valley Police Sgt. Blair Barfuss.
Detectives later learned that the shooting was the result of a failed robbery attempt, he said.
Others at Overlook Point Apartments, 4640 S. 2970 West, knew Pham, which helped police arrest him a short time later. Pham was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, obstruction of justice and three counts of discharging a firearm.
The victim's name was not released.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 57
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17