WEST VALLEY CITY — A 20-year-old man was hospitalized in critical condition Sunday after he was shot in the head during a fight at an apartment complex.
Patrick Van Pham, 18, and the victim were involved in an altercation when Pham pulled out a gun about 6:10 a.m. and shot the 20-year-old in the head, said West Valley Police Sgt. Blair Barfuss.
Detectives later learned that the shooting was the result of a failed robbery attempt, he said.
Others at Overlook Point Apartments, 4640 S. 2970 West, knew Pham, which helped police arrest him a short time later. Pham was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, aggravated robbery, aggravated assault, obstruction of justice and three counts of discharging a firearm.
The victim's name was not released.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 75
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7