BYU's Williams pleads not guilty to misdemeanor underage drinking charge
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU running back Jamaal Williams has pled not guilty in connection with a misdemeanor charge of possession of alcohol by a minor, and is scheduled for a court hearing in May, according to police records and court documents.
Williams, 18, was charged with being a minor with a measurable concentration of alcohol in his blood, breath or urine, a class B misdemeanor, for an unspecified incident on Feb. 16. He was arraigned on March 12, when he pled not guilty to the misdemeanor charge.
Williams was fingerprinted and photographed at the Utah County Jail on March 15 as is required by law.
The pretrial conference for the case was scheduled for last Wednesday in Utah County Justice Court but was postponed until May 7 and will be held in front of Judge Stevan W. Ridge.
BYU has been holding spring football practices since March 3, and Williams has been participating in those practice sessions.
School spokesperson Carri Jenkins confirmed Sunday that Williams is a current student at the university.
Williams, who turns 19 in April, rushed for 1,233 yards and seven touchdowns last year as a sophomore. In two seasons, he has rushed for 2,008 yards and 19 touchdowns for the Cougars.
Last week, Williams told reporters that he has been taking on more of a leadership role with the team this spring.
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 32
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25