BYU's Williams pleads not guilty to misdemeanor underage drinking charge
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU running back Jamaal Williams has pled not guilty in connection with a misdemeanor charge of possession of alcohol by a minor, and is scheduled for a court hearing in May, according to police records and court documents.
Williams, 18, was charged with being a minor with a measurable concentration of alcohol in his blood, breath or urine, a class B misdemeanor, for an unspecified incident on Feb. 16. He was arraigned on March 12, when he pled not guilty to the misdemeanor charge.
Williams was fingerprinted and photographed at the Utah County Jail on March 15 as is required by law.
The pretrial conference for the case was scheduled for last Wednesday in Utah County Justice Court but was postponed until May 7 and will be held in front of Judge Stevan W. Ridge.
BYU has been holding spring football practices since March 3, and Williams has been participating in those practice sessions.
School spokesperson Carri Jenkins confirmed Sunday that Williams is a current student at the university.
Williams, who turns 19 in April, rushed for 1,233 yards and seven touchdowns last year as a sophomore. In two seasons, he has rushed for 2,008 yards and 19 touchdowns for the Cougars.
Last week, Williams told reporters that he has been taking on more of a leadership role with the team this spring.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- 3A boys state tournament quarterfinals...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 89
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 55
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 29