BYU's Williams pleads not guilty to misdemeanor underage drinking charge
Matt Gade, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU running back Jamaal Williams has pled not guilty in connection with a misdemeanor charge of possession of alcohol by a minor, and is scheduled for a court hearing in May, according to police records and court documents.
Williams, 18, was charged with being a minor with a measurable concentration of alcohol in his blood, breath or urine, a class B misdemeanor, for an unspecified incident on Feb. 16. He was arraigned on March 12, when he pled not guilty to the misdemeanor charge.
Williams was fingerprinted and photographed at the Utah County Jail on March 15 as is required by law.
The pretrial conference for the case was scheduled for last Wednesday in Utah County Justice Court but was postponed until May 7 and will be held in front of Judge Stevan W. Ridge.
BYU has been holding spring football practices since March 3, and Williams has been participating in those practice sessions.
School spokesperson Carri Jenkins confirmed Sunday that Williams is a current student at the university.
Williams, who turns 19 in April, rushed for 1,233 yards and seven touchdowns last year as a sophomore. In two seasons, he has rushed for 2,008 yards and 19 touchdowns for the Cougars.
Last week, Williams told reporters that he has been taking on more of a leadership role with the team this spring.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24