BYU track: Cougars finish in third at the Trojan Invitational
BYU women’s track and field earned third place at the first outdoor meet of the season, the Trojan Invitational at USC this weekend.
“We had an outstanding day today on the heels of yesterday,” head coach Ed Eyestone said. “We had a number of what should be regional qualifiers. All in all, I think it was a great day all around. I’m pleased with all of our groups, our jumpers, sprinters, throwers and our distance guys all performed.“
Freshman Brenna Porter debuted the first 400m hurdle race of her BYU career and earned second place with a time of 58.64.
Freshman Marissa Appiah debuted in the outdoor high jump with a mark of 1.65m.
Throwing super star Deezbaa Whaley also threw her first discus of the season with a mark of 44.70m. This was good enough for eighth place at the Trojan Invitational.
The women’s team ended in third place in what will be one of the few scored meets of the 2014 outdoor season.
At UC Berkeley, freshman Nicole Laws performed in her first heptathlon of her BYU career, where she took second place with 4,924 points. Laws finished in first place in the 100m hurdles with a time of 14.43 and first in the high jump with a mark of 1.73m. Brie Simmons also competed in the heptathlon at Cal and earned second place with 4,794 points.
Next week the Cougars will split up, sending some athletes to compete in the UVU Collegiate on Friday, March 28, some to the Texas Relays in Austin from the 27th-28th, some to the California Multi-Events Meet at Berkeley from the 26th-27th and some to the Aztec Invitational in San Diego, Calif., from the 28th-29th.
The Texas Relays Invitational is one of the most prestigious track events in the country and will have more than 6,000 athletes competing to earn their places at nationals and their respective regional meets.
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 15
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 15
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy... 13
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the... 4